not moving but not in his shell

JDawks

Location (City and/or State)
Christchurch
Hi, my russian tortoise that i got yesterday has been in the same spot for a couple hours but he’s not tucked in his shell should i be worried?
Mediterranean tortoises should be kept in a minimum 4' x 6' opened topped tortoise table, not a vivarium in order for them to regulate their own body temperature. Better than this, they should be housed outside in a secure, predator proof enclosure with an attached heated/insulated shed/greenhouse. My four 1 year old Ibera are all enjoying life outside. Your tortoise will become agitated and persistently try to climb if it is able to see a way out through the glass.

Obbie

Minnesota
I’ll take any advice i can get within the realm of what i can provide him he’s got lots of fresh veggies and water and some enrichment “toys” on the way with better lamps and better thermometer on the way as well and even a vet so i’m doing my best if i don’t think he’s happy i’ll find him another home but until then i’m going to try and give him a good life, thanks!
The people here, truly care for their torts. It sounds like you will do what’s best for your little guy. Welcome to a very good place for advice, and ideas 💡 !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mediterranean tortoises should be kept in a minimum 4' x 6' opened topped tortoise table, not a vivarium in order for them to regulate their own body temperature. Better than this, they should be housed outside in a secure, predator proof enclosure with an attached heated/insulated shed/greenhouse. My four 1 year old Ibera are all enjoying life outside. Your tortoise will become agitated and persistently try to climb if it is able to see a way out through the glass.
A 4x8 foot is actually the minimum.