not moving but not in his shell

moorealanna1

Location (City and/or State)
PA
I'm not saying you aren't trying but stop thinking what the pet store told you is golden, its not. What you will learn on here is you listen and read the caresheets is what is needed. You want him to flourish and live a long life, not just exist.
Again he is likely older then 1 and is an adult. The shell looks ruff for a one year old and they don't usually get babies.
What kind of veggies are you feeding?
They need broad leaf weeds and greens, not what I would call veggies, but would call weeds and greens/salad greens. He doesn't need toys, he needs the space to roam, toys will just take up the little space he has.
he’s super boujee and only eats kale and sometimes he’ll pick out the peas from his rehydrated veggies but mostly just kale i tried to give him some cucumbers for hydration but he wasn’t interested and i sprinkle some calcium on top the kale once a week!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
he’s super boujee and only eats kale and sometimes he’ll pick out the peas from his rehydrated veggies but mostly just kale i tried to give him some cucumbers for hydration but he wasn’t interested and i sprinkle some calcium on top the kale once a week!
Yeah he has to eat more then kale. Not sure peas should even be fed. Broad leaf weeds and greens.
You need to add other proper foods and chop it up very small and add it too chopped kale. Use more kale then the other green. Spritz with water so it sticks together. As he learns to eat this add more of the better foods and less kale. Nothing should be the only diet, must be a wide variety specially if you are only feeding grocery greens.
Try to add mulberry leaf, hibiscus leaf and flower, dandelion, rose of sharon flower and leaf, radicchio, spring mix, mustard greens, collard greens, endive, cactus.
Check this website for more safe plants

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
No veggies. Check out the care sheet, but my guy is also boujee, farmers market squash blossoms and leaves, raddicio, escarole, endive, dandelion greens, mustard greens, frissee. Hibiscus flowers when in bloom from my yard. You can also buy mixed seeds designed for them and grow yourself.

moorealanna1

PA
Yeah he has to eat more then kale. Not sure peas should even be fed. Broad leaf weeds and greens.
You need to add other proper foods and chop it up very small and add it too chopped kale. Use more kale then the other green. Spritz with water so it sticks together. As he learns to eat this add more of the better foods and less kale. Nothing should be the only diet, must be a wide variety specially if you are only feeding grocery greens.
Try to add mulberry leaf, hibiscus leaf and flower, dandelion, rose of sharon flower and leaf, radicchio, spring mix, mustard greens, collard greens, endive, cactus.
Check this website for more safe plants
He’s very picky i’ve tried giving him a variety cause i am worried he’s not eating enough but he really will only eat the kale maybe because they only really gave him that at the pet store but his rehydrated veggies have more than just kale in it as well but again he really only eats the kale i’ve tried other greens as well and he just won’t eat them

moorealanna1

PA
He’s very picky i’ve tried giving him a variety cause i am worried he’s not eating enough but he really will only eat the kale maybe because they only really gave him that at the pet store but his rehydrated veggies have more than just kale in it as well but again he really only eats the kale i’ve tried other greens as well and he just won’t eat them
same with the pellets he won’t eat them either

moorealanna1

PA
i’m going to pick up some more different kinds of greens today so hopefully he’ll eat something else but i’m trying my best i can’t reallr control that he’s picky i just want to make sure he’s fed

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
i’m going to pick up some more different kinds of greens today so hopefully he’ll eat something else but i’m trying my best i can’t reallr control that he’s picky i just want to make sure he’s fed
You have to keep trying in the way I said. You are the one that has to know better. If he was in the wild he would eat what he is suppose to. Humans screwed that up and now its your responsibility to fix it!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Yes mine would only eat Romaine when I got him for the same reason. You just have to make an effort to get him to eat a variety of things. I’ll let others here talk about kale. I don’t give mine kale because the tortoise table app says it’s not the best but I know that’s conservative. I’m not sure if kale is good or bad overall. The important thing is to give him a variety so he gets a wide range of nutrients that don’t come from just one or two things, and nothing that’s bad for them

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes mine would only eat Romaine when I got him for the same reason. You just have to make an effort to get him to eat a variety of things. I’ll let others here talk about kale. I don’t give mine kale because the tortoise table app says it’s not the best but I know that’s conservative. I’m not sure if kale is good or bad overall. The important thing is to give him a variety so he gets a wide range of nutrients that don’t come from just one or two things, and nothing that’s bad for them
Small amounts of kale is alright. No way only kale or how much this one is getting.

moorealanna1

PA
You have to keep trying in the way I said. You are the one that has to know better. If he was in the wild he would eat what he is suppose to. Humans screwed that up and now its your responsibility to fix it!
Like i said i’m trying my best and giving him lots of different foods to try in the hopes that he’ll be a little less picky, i cannot force feed him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The way you reply, it reads like you are bucking everything being said. Almost every reply reads this way.
I do believe you want to do the right thing and are trying. You will have to keep trying until it's all fixed. It won't be a quick fix, so you have to keep trying until, no matter how long it takes. Just be sure you forget what the pet store told you, they didn't get anything right that I can see.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just want you to also know, there is a light at the end of this tunnel. Once you get everything corrected and right, it's pretty easy owning a tortoise.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Like i said i’m trying my best and giving him lots of different foods to try in the hopes that he’ll be a little less picky, i cannot force feed him.
No but you can let him get hungry and when you do he will eat. They have a very strong survival instinct. they’re not gonna go hungry for too long

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
You obviously want to do your best for this tort so please read the caresheet I linked and follow the advice in it. You will see a big improvement in your tort's behaviour and health.
It covers diet, temps substrate enclosure size and everything your tort needs. It has been written by a very experienced keeper who thankfully shares best practices with us so that we don't make the old mistakes and so that our torts can have a good life.
Most tortoise problems are caused by things we neglect to do properly for their welfare, so the caresheeet will not only save you money on unsafe and inadequate equipment but also on vet fees which are inevitable for any torts which don't have correct diet and environments.

moorealanna1

PA
You obviously want to do your best for this tort so please read the caresheet I linked and follow the advice in it. You will see a big improvement in your tort's behaviour and health.
It covers diet, temps substrate enclosure size and everything your tort needs. It has been written by a very experienced keeper who thankfully shares best practices with us so that we don't make the old mistakes and so that our torts can have a good life.
Most tortoise problems are caused by things we neglect to do properly for their welfare, so the caresheeet will not only save you money on unsafe and inadequate equipment but also on vet fees which are inevitable for any torts which don't have correct diet and environments.
Reading it now! Thanks so much for being nice and recognizing im a first time owner just trying there best to give him a happy life (unlike other people on here)

moorealanna1

PA
Do you have a care sheet that you use that you could link please, i’d really appreciate it :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Reading it now! Thanks so much for being nice and recognizing im a first time owner just trying there best to give him a happy life (unlike other people on here)
In fairness everyone here loves torts and is just trying to help - and are happy to take the time to help. Some members are more direct and straight to the point than others, but it's nothing personal and we can't always tell the tone in which text is written.

King Arthur

Tortoise Club
Bay Area, California
I’m gonna hopefully get him to 55 gallons around january that tank took a big chunk out of budget but i’m gonna add a thermometer gun to my cart rn!
Hi here there is a app called offer -up rather than buy new you may want to look at your local used apps .. also I though glass tank stress the tortoise and needs to be covered where the tortoise looks out. All around tank.