Not new to turtles but very new to tortoise.

Mandysaur

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas
We have a few RES but the new baby is a sulcata.
82 cool side about 80% humidity
113 basking spot
Coir bark and coir “dirt” substrate
15 minute soaks
10 gallon covered aquarium ( for now)
Two outdoor areas kiddy pool and yard
Hatched about July 25th
Eating romain lettuce, trying to feed some mazuri.
I’m nervous as hell im going to do something wrong.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
Cool side and humidity are fine, but basking spot is WAY too hot. It should be around 95, 100 max.

Substrate is fine.

Are the soaks daily?

A hatchling should be in a minimum of 40 gallons, and even that will only last a few months. You need a bigger enclosure.

Romain is not a good diet, and mazuri should be fed once-twice a week. Your tortoise needs to be eating broadleaf weeds with very few grocery store foods.

Please give these a read and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Mandysaur

Austin, Texas
Yes I read those threads. Very good info. He was started on romain so that is what I continued. Soaks are daily. Even at the high temp right under the dashing light he prefers that space. I will raise the lamp a little though.
I am concerned the substrate is to wet on the cool side. It’s damp but no water is pooled or anything.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Yes I read those threads. Very good info. He was started on romain so that is what I continued. Soaks are daily. Even at the high temp right under the dashing light he prefers that space. I will raise the lamp a little though.
I am concerned the substrate is to wet on the cool side. It’s damp but no water is pooled or anything.

As long as the temps are 80 in the cool side, it should be fine :)

Even if he does use the basking spot, temps that high are very desiccating on their shells and can easily cause pyramiding.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
They can be stubborn eating different greens. Grazing in the yard if you haven't fertilized gets them eating different weeds and sometimes a little tough love is needed.

My sully was given iceberg lettuce. I tried spring mix and Opo would only eat the lettuce. I finally just had to keep fresh food in the tray. If it went bad I would put in fresh and wait. Finally Opo had 3 types he liked and kept trying different greens and now I have a full range of greens Opo likes. Early on I would dice up cactus. After a few times of snubbing it now Opo gets it almost every morning to start out with right after grazing.

P.S. don't try dicing up cactus in a blender. You end up with a ball of sticky goo lol

Mandysaur

Austin, Texas
I have dogs. They mostly do their “business” in two parts of the yard but I am concerned to feed the little tortie contaminated grass. Am I just being silly or should I trim and wash the grass???? Are there any grasses or weeds that are poisonous to a sulcata?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I have dogs. They mostly do their “business” in two parts of the yard but I am concerned to feed the little tortie contaminated grass. Am I just being silly or should I trim and wash the grass???? Are there any grasses or weeds that are poisonous to a sulcata?
I would not worry about washing the grass as long as no fertilizer or bug sprays are being used. Then I wouldn't feed at all. There are members and postings here to cover what types of weeds. I am not knowledgeable. To tell you the truth I just let Opo graze. The first time Opo came across a mushroom and ate it. I panicked a little but I figured it was to late. Opo eats them whenever they pop up. It's probably a good thing to be knowledgeable about good or bad weeds. Maybe I better start doing some research.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can rinse of any grass or weeds you offer. No harm in that. I know of no common grass that is toxic, but many types of weeds are. You'll need to ID any plant in your yard the your baby will have access to and verify their safety.

The biggest priorities I see for you are:
  • MUCH bigger enclosure ASAP.
  • Lower basking temp.
  • Introduction of new and better foods.
  • Longer soaks. I like to go for 30-40 minutes. Keep the water warm for the whole duration.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
You can rinse of any grass or weeds you offer. No harm in that. I know of no common grass that is toxic, but many types of weeds are. You'll need to ID any plant in your yard the your baby will have access to and verify their safety.

The biggest priorities I see for you are:
  • MUCH bigger enclosure ASAP.
  • Lower basking temp.
  • Introduction of new and better foods.
  • Longer soaks. I like to go for 30-40 minutes. Keep the water warm for the whole duration.
Tom what is a good resource to help identify toxic weeds?
Thanks Ray

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom what is a good resource to help identify toxic weeds?
Thanks Ray
We can sometimes figure them out with a picture here on the forum, but when that fails, I always take a sample down to one of my local plant nerds at the garden center or nursery here.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
We can sometimes figure them out with a picture here on the forum, but when that fails, I always take a sample down to one of my local plant nerds at the garden center or nursery here.
Thanks that sounds good. I was hoping you wouldn't say the computer