Not sure if I got the right orchid bark

ChinoCochino33

Location (City and/or State)
Burlington Ontario
Hi so I bought orchid bark to replace my coco coir for my baby Greek but there’s little white pieces in it and I’m just not sure if it’s safe for him.. also am now just realizing this bark might be ways to big for him
I put him on top of the bark just to show how big the bark is compared to him

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
That looks like potting soil, which I wouldn’t recommend. The white rocks are perlite, which are toy harmless but your tort might try to eat them.
I have used compressed coco bark and coco chips before. you just gotta make sure it is pretty moist, or it becomes dusty

ChinoCochino33

Burlington Ontario
That looks like potting soil, which I wouldn’t recommend. The white rocks are perlite, which are toy harmless but your tort might try to eat them.
I have used compressed coco bark and coco chips before. you just gotta make sure it is pretty moist, or it becomes dusty
Ok ok thank you.. so if my tort eats one of those white things he’ll be ok? Or should I just get rid of it so he never bites it at all

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok ok thank you.. so if my tort eats one of those white things he’ll be ok? Or should I just get rid of it so he never bites it at all
Remove it ASAP. Perlite is deadly to them and they will eat it. Take him out of that enclosure immediately. Don't let him stay over night or wake up on that substrate.

You don't want an orchid bark "mix" or "blend". You want plain pure fir bark. Read the ingredients of any package. You won't typically find plain orchid bark at a chain hardware store. You have to go to a nursery, and some times you have to special order it. Plain fine grade fir bark, aka: orchid bark.

ChinoCochino33

Burlington Ontario
Remove it ASAP. Perlite is deadly to them and they will eat it. Take him out of that enclosure immediately. Don't let him stay over night or wake up on that substrate.

You don't want an orchid bark "mix" or "blend". You want plain pure fir bark. Read the ingredients of any package. You won't typically find plain orchid bark at a chain hardware store. You have to go to a nursery, and some times you have to special order it. Plain fine grade fir bark, aka: orchid bar
Any type of bark Fine? I found small/fine Orchid bark Douglas fur... nothing else is added in the packaging.. also thank you so much, you and this forum have been very nice and helpful

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any type of bark Fine? I found small/fine Orchid bark Douglas fur... nothing else is added in the packaging.. also thank you so much, you and this forum have been very nice and helpful
Fine grade fir bark is what you want. No additives. Its also called orchid bark and is used from growing orchids. Its sold under the brand name of "Reptibark" if you buy it at a pet store.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Also, you'll want it about three or four inches deep. You shouldn't be able to see the floor of the enclosure. . . and damp, quite damp!