Not sure what this can be?bottom of shell flakeing

4fifth

5 Year Member
Anyone have a idea on what this can be,picture about a month ago and its continue to spread and flake .he lives outdoors and temperature has been extremely hot here and California and that's when we notice this, we do soak him and has access to soak on his own throughout the day.

20180706_205752.jpg
20180706_205752.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
the lighter, pink stripe in the center is new growth. The flakey part looks like it may be OLD shell rot.

4fifth

5 Year Member
the lighter, pink stripe in the center is new growth. The flakey part looks like it may be OLD shell rot.

Il take a recent pic today it basically the flakes spread out but his shell is still hard .when I first seen it I cleaned a few times with povidone iodine and a tooth brush but I read too much use can stop new growth.ive been looking for some type of silver sulfadiazine but cant seem to find it ,any substitute cream I can use? Or any other remedies to help?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, there's nothing to do at this point. It's old and no long viable. The dead part will continue to flake off, but that doesn't mean the shell rot (or injury ?) is still active. New "stuff" is growing under that dead stuff, and that's making it flake off.

what kind of tortoise is it?

4fifth

5 Year Member
In my opinion, there's nothing to do at this point. It's old and no long viable. The dead part will continue to flake off, but that doesn't mean the shell rot (or injury ?) is still active. New "stuff" is growing under that dead stuff, and that's making it flake off.

what kind of tortoise is it?

Ok thank you ,hes a sulcata
Here's a pic of him

20180523_164025.jpg 20180523_164025.jpg