Not sure whether russian tortoise is sick or going into hibernation

MephistoMathers

So for about 4-5 days now, my russian tortoise has suddenly refused to eat anything I give him, instead opting to spend all his time burrowing down into his substrate. When he is indoors, he usually gets a mixture of greens (spring mix, collards, mustards, turnips, romaine, etc) with some carrots, yellow squash, zucchini, hibiscus, and dandelion on occasion. A couple times a week, I let him outside to graze (no pesticides or herbicides used in the area) on whatever weeds he so desires. However, he has gone from voraciously consuming his meals to not eating at all. When I took him outside, he ate for maybe 20 seconds on a weed, then continued to walk away. While outside, he's very active, walks perfectly fine, and usually just looks for a place to hide or burrow.

So, to make a long story short, I am worried that this sudden change in appetite may be the result of perhaps impaction. However, when I soaked him yesterday, he passed two pellets of feces about an inch big each, so I am wondering if perhaps he is just attempting to go into hibernation. I live in South Florida, so, while temperatures are a bit lower right now, we would get nowhere near the chill needed for proper hibernation. Hoping someone here might know the answer.

Info on setup and tortoise
Tortoise- Russian, about 2-4 years old, about 4-6 inches from head to tail
Setup- 29 gallon tank (temp while I make a better one)
Heat- 75 watt bulb (warm ending about 95 at basking, 76-78 at cool end)
Substrate- Mix of play sand, coir, and sphagnum moss
Water available at all times
Humidity- around 30-50% depending on time of day

If anymore info is need, please let me know

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Mine does this every year she starts in the early fall and it's usually a few weeks before she snaps out of it. She's rather needy during this time and requires a good more maintenance than she normally does. I increase the soaks and baby her with Romaine smeared with the good for her food that she doesn't want to eat but she usually at least nibbles the Romaine. This is also the usual period Of time where I give in and give her Mazuri often. My best advice is to wait it out and keep watching the weight of yours making sure it doesn't drop too much. You can also try soaking him in warm water and a jar of squash or carrot baby food. Mine usually perks up right after that bath. Side note I would absolutely get rid of the play sand as this is known to cause inspections and can be a pretty bad eye irritant.

MephistoMathers

Thanks for the advice. He's been doing better so it probably was just a hibernation spell. I've been doing just as you say and he has perked up nicely, eating a good amount more. Additionally, what substrate do you recommend to avoid impaction for russians?