November 30th is the end of hurricane season 2022

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I'm glad because my son is about to head there for the winter. Yes he'll be a snowbird. What's funny is I enjoy the summer more. Except for the mosquitos eeek.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It was absolutely horrific for so many people in Florida...lost lives and homes. Two hurricanes! The Season is over, the aftermath hurts.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Something needs to be done about hurricane insurance policies.
It'll soon cost more than my actual mortgage. And this is a year where south Florida was mostly spared.

Now I get to use that 65 gallons of hurricane generator gas that I've had stashed since the start of the season

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I went thru a season with 4 hurricanes. Everyone is trying their best to get through it. Running back and forth or north with children and pets. Trying to find food when there's no electricity to cook or even pump gas. Those stories rarely get told. My heart broke watching how hard it is on everyone. Up here in Ohio we're about to go through winter. It's been pretty mild for several years but I've seen some real bad winter storms in the past. It gets scary when you have no electricity. How do you heat your home now that stoves and furnaces have to have an electric igniter by law for safety reasons even though they are gas run appliances?. Better have a generator or something to charge phones etc and batteries lots candles and a few propane heaters and propane or you might have to go to a shelter. I don't want to pray for another mild winter because of global warming. I haven't seen our normal blizzards here since 1999. So I'll deal with whatever comes I guess.🤗

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I went thru a season with 4 hurricanes. Everyone is trying their best to get through it. Running back and forth or north with children and pets. Trying to find food when there's no electricity to cook or even pump gas. Those stories rarely get told. My heart broke watching how hard it is on everyone. Up here in Ohio we're about to go through winter. It's been pretty mild for several years but I've seen some real bad winter storms in the past. It gets scary when you have no electricity. How do you heat your home now that stoves and furnaces have to have an electric igniter by law for safety reasons even though they are gas run appliances?. Better have a generator or something to charge phones etc and batteries lots candles and a few propane heaters and propane or you might have to go to a shelter. I don't want to pray for another mild winter because of global warming. I haven't seen our normal blizzards here since 1999. So I'll deal with whatever comes I guess.🤗
Wow
Electric ignition only on gas stoves.
There must be a lockout to override.
There were a few years we had no power for over eleven days. Once for nineteen days. What made that doable was our gas water heater and gas stove. (That I lit with a match)
Our generator did most of the rest. Except for the central AC. That required too much startup power. We used a small, mobile AC just in the living room.
No heat in the winter is something that we here take entirely for granted. It's almost never uncomfortably cold. But I can sure understand how serious things could get quickly. And some space heaters, etc have their own safety issues.

I feel for y'all

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
You guys KNOW what it's like to crawl out from under those kinds of storms since you have experienced them, I have not and I know that.....so bear with me and don't laugh at me because I have a vivid imagination....

I have wrestled for decades about buying a home in beautiful Florida.....decades. I love palm trees, can bear the heat and love the water so sliding down there is an easy picture for me to see.

Here's what my mind conjures up (btw-when you hear that word "conjure", it's never good, is it?):

Could I, successfully build/buy a simple hurricane-proof home outright, no insurance necessary other than liability.....?? maybe a newly 3D printed one that could successfully withstand flooding/winds? In my mind, I can see losing landscaping every couple years, but no more.

I think I pay somewhere around 1000 a yr for homeowners now with Erie.....what is it down there?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . and last night on the news they reported about over 40 tornados touching down. ***Yvonne holds out her hands to her sides with the palms toward the ceiling, and "tornado" in one palm and "Hurricane" in the other" Tornado? Hurricane? Tornado? Hurricane? Seems like the big weatherman in the sky has traded hurricanes for tornados!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You guys KNOW what it's like to crawl out from under those kinds of storms since you have experienced them, I have not and I know that.....so bear with me and don't laugh at me because I have a vivid imagination....

I have wrestled for decades about buying a home in beautiful Florida.....decades. I love palm trees, can bear the heat and love the water so sliding down there is an easy picture for me to see.

Here's what my mind conjures up (btw-when you hear that word "conjure", it's never good, is it?):

Could I, successfully build/buy a simple hurricane-proof home outright, no insurance necessary other than liability.....?? maybe a newly 3D printed one that could successfully withstand flooding/winds? In my mind, I can see losing landscaping every couple years, but no more.

I think I pay somewhere around 1000 a yr for homeowners now with Erie.....what is it down there?
You would probably have to pay flood insurance through FEMA also in Florida. The price would depend on where you live. Our FEMA insurance is a little more than the home owners insurance. We live at the very edge of a flood plain and the house is on a hill above where it only recently started flooding(because of 100 year floods lately) 🤣 other people pay more in my area. They flood if it rains.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

Just my hurricane wind policy is over $5,000 a year. I just got a break because I installed category 5 windows and doors and garage door. But it's supposed to go up another 30 to 40 percent next year again. It had been as high as $7,700.
This is on top of my standard home owners policy and doesn't include a flood policy.
Whatever your mortgage might be. The insurance will double that price.
Since my house will soon be paid off. I keep trying to convince myself to just keep like 20k in an account just for a roof and drop the wind mitigation coverage altogether.
You could buy a new cement block house with the latest greatest roof, doors and windows. Or do as I've done. Update my existing cement block house. But the cost is rediculous to do either.
For every native Floridian that flees there are four fools that want to come live in "paradise".
Where else can you buy such a small house as mine for the same price as a huge house on a big lot elsewhere?
Florida. And especially south Florida is just rediculous.
I'm not in love with the sun, the sea or the people. And certainly not with the weather. We have 3 kinds here. Hot and humid. Hot with rain and hot with 150 mph winds.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Just my hurricane wind policy is over $5,000 a year. I just got a break because I installed category 5 windows and doors and garage door. But it's supposed to go up another 30 to 40 percent next year again. It had been as high as $7,700.
This is on top of my standard home owners policy and doesn't include a flood policy.
Whatever your mortgage might be. The insurance will double that price.
Since my house will soon be paid off. I keep trying to convince myself to just keep like 20k in an account just for a roof and drop the wind mitigation coverage altogether.
You could buy a new cement block house with the latest greatest roof, doors and windows. Or do as I've done. Update my existing cement block house. But the cost is rediculous to do either.
For every native Floridian that flees there are four fools that want to come live in "paradise".
Where else can you buy such a small house as mine for the same price as a huge house on a big lot elsewhere?
Florida. And especially south Florida is just rediculous.
I'm not in love with the sun, the sea or the people. And certainly not with the weather. We have 3 kinds here. Hot and humid. Hot with rain and hot with 150 mph winds.
The people, the sunsets, the beautiful blue skies but then there's the mosquitos, the red ants, the weather etc etc etc...toads trying to jump on you or frogs in the middle of the night. (That was fun)😜Also all those snakes eeeek oh how I miss South Florida 🙃 I honestly liked it. It was at the least getting the adrenaline going.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The people, the sunsets, the beautiful blue skies but then there's the mosquitos, the red ants, the weather etc etc etc...toads trying to jump on you or frogs in the middle of the night. (That was fun)😜Also all those snakes eeeek oh how I miss South Florida 🙃 I honestly liked it. It was at the least getting the adrenaline going.
It's a nice place to visit

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's a nice place to visit
Yes. You have to love it to live there. It's different and very hard. I really enjoyed living inland in the swamp though. I got to hear a lot of swamp songs from the alligators, frogs etc. It's very special getting to actually hear the songs they sing. I even got to hear frogs getting ready for breeding one night. I later read that it has to be the perfect temperature, the right amount of rain, all kinds of factors, and then you'll get to hear the frogs actually sing. It's like a choir singing. Each one singing their part. I couldn't believe it was frogs it was so beautiful. I'll never forget it.