Novice needs feedback an a Indoor Enclosure for a Leopard Hatchling

henry2412

Location (City and/or State)
Rockaway NJ
Hello Everyone,

My name is Henry, I am new to the forum and have been going through all the threads and absorbing all the useful information. This site is awesome.

After reading several forum threads, Boy have I’ve been doing things wrong. Despite making mistakes I have a healthy Russian Tortoise for several years now, but consider myself a novice.

I am planning on getting a Leopard Tortoise hatchling and wanted to do things right, so I started putting together an indoor enclosure. Below is what I have purchased so far. I would love to hear any feedback. Do I need to make any changes? Am I missing anything? I welcome any advice you may have. Thanks,

-Henry

Indoor Enclosure:
Large Cement Pan
Thermometer Humidity Gauge
Make Shift House
Terra Cotta water dish

Lighting & Heat:
30” Terrarium Hood with 5.0 Fluorescent UVB
Deep Dome Lamp with 100w Infrared basking light

Substrate:
Cypress Mulch
Sphagnum Moss (Hides)

photo.php

Attachments

• 41532822_1875326305886509_3083434034856984576_n.jpg
    41532822_1875326305886509_3083434034856984576_n.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 68

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

henry2412

Rockaway NJ
No deep dome fixture. The ones that are more flared out are better.'
Closed chamber. Not sure how you missed that important thread. Must have closed chamber to keep the humidity in and for it too work.

Thanks for the reply, I will return the deep dome, and will work on a closed chamber.

henry2412

Rockaway NJ
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I will work on the closed chamber and will update when I am done.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I will work on the closed chamber and will update when I am done.

You can get the clear greenhouse type covers, so you can actually see your tortoise, but that above was an example. Humidity is really really important to a Leo baby so it needs to be virtually air tight.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi Henry,

If you get two cement mixing pans the same size, then invert one ontop of the other you have a closed chamber. Cut a hole in the top (inverted) pan and use pretty much any plastic film to cover the entry when not in use. Then if you use a T5 HO single tube light on a timer, and just a 25 watt CHE (called Nano) on a thermostat your chamber should be able to keep humidity and heat well enough provided the background temp is in a home heated to less than the interior of the chamber.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/live-naked-people.126107/page-18#post-1470597 to see what I mean as I do it. Simple not so expensive and works well.

henry2412

Rockaway NJ
Hi Henry,

If you get two cement mixing pans the same size, then invert one ontop of the other you have a closed chamber. Cut a hole in the top (inverted) pan and use pretty much any plastic film to cover the entry when not in use. Then if you use a T5 HO single tube light on a timer, and just a 25 watt CHE (called Nano) on a thermostat your chamber should be able to keep humidity and heat well enough provided the background temp is in a home heated to less than the interior of the chamber.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/live-naked-people.126107/page-18#post-1470597 to see what I mean as I do it. Simple not so expensive and works well.
Thank you.

Chasen

Galveston
Welcome to the forum. I have found this to be a tremendous source of info and support. I was completely unaware of the need for an enclosed chamber with these little ones and I believe it's contributed to a turn around in my hatchling's health and well being. Are you getting your baby from a breeder?

henry2412

Rockaway NJ
Welcome to the forum. I have found this to be a tremendous source of info and support. I was completely unaware of the need for an enclosed chamber with these little ones and I believe it's contributed to a turn around in my hatchling's health and well being. Are you getting your baby from a breeder?

I want to get a nice setup first and then I plan on getting a leopard tortoise form a breeder.

Chasen

Galveston
I want to get a nice setup first and then I plan on getting a leopard tortoise form a breeder.
Sweet.. I don't want anyone to stress about the survival of their pets. I got mine from an expo and it wasn't started properly. I've had him for 2 months and I wasn't sure he was going to make it. While I think I might be over the hump, I'm still guarded on the outcome. Time will tell. I will never again purchase from anywhere other than reputable breeder. Enjoy your little one..

henry2412

Rockaway NJ
Sweet.. I don't want anyone to stress about the survival of their pets. I got mine from an expo and it wasn't started properly. I've had him for 2 months and I wasn't sure he was going to make it. While I think I might be over the hump, I'm still guarded on the outcome. Time will tell. I will never again purchase from anywhere other than reputable breeder. Enjoy your little one..
I appreciate the info, I am glad your little guy is doing better.