Nursery Bought Plants

C. Nelson

Location (City and/or State)
Grand Junction, CO
Yes, you are certainly correct about that! All day today the dust was blowing. Step outside and your lips crack!
I will find a place outside to put the potted plants for a while until I can plant them, then use your basin watering system. It sounds like a good way to do it.
Thanks!

I was so lucky to find a house with existing Mulberry trees and grapevines. The previous owners had neglected them and they looked sad. I water them as much as my flowers. They are flourishing now. My bunny and guinea pig love the leaves as well as my Russians.

karenbrams

San Diego, CA
I have searched high and low for anyone in my area who has grapevine or mulberry, and failed completely.

So I was forced to order plants online. We will assume that pesticides were used on them at the nursery.
With that said, they aren't very big yet. Here's my plan.
I planted them in plain potting soil with no additives, but did not wash the original soil off them. For me, keeping the plants alive is my first priority.
It's currently 113 deg in my yard...a death sentence for new baby trees. Dwarf mulberry bushes are to be planted in spring, so they will stay inside til then. The grape I will keep in til fall, when the temps come down.
In the meantime they will be watered and allowed to grow. By next spring, they should be safe re' any pesticides, right?
The 2 little ones on the right are the dwarf mulberry. The larger one on left is Thomson Seedless grape.
Any suggestions how to grow them are appreciated...I have a black thumb!View attachment 243379
I live in San Diego county and have a ton of mulberry leaves given to me from various neighbors. They keep pretty fresh putting them in zip lock bags, especially when kept in the refrigerator. I would be happy to mail some to you if you pay for shipping. Or you're welcome to pick them up if you're ever in town.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I was so lucky to find a house with existing Mulberry trees and grapevines. The previous owners had neglected them and they looked sad. I water them as much as my flowers. They are flourishing now. My bunny and guinea pig love the leaves as well as my Russians.
Yes, how fortunate! Good job getting them to flourish again!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I live in San Diego county and have a ton of mulberry leaves given to me from various neighbors. They keep pretty fresh putting them in zip lock bags, especially when kept in the refrigerator. I would be happy to mail some to you if you pay for shipping. Or you're welcome to pick them up if you're ever in town.
Thank you! What a nice offer! I will keep that in mind if I get over that way. In the meantime, I'll wait while mine do some growing. So far, they look good.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
@TriciaStringer

How are your plants doing?

My dwarf mulberry trees are doing wonderful.

I had to get more grapevines because the first one died, but these new ones are looking good so far.

My hibiscus cuttings are growing, but still very small.

I have some wild muscadine vines on my property... I could try sending you some of that if you want??

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
@TriciaStringer

How are your plants doing?

My dwarf mulberry trees are doing wonderful.

I had to get more grapevines because the first one died, but these new ones are looking good so far.

My hibiscus cuttings are growing, but still very small.
My three mulberry trees look good. I only put one in the ground because we are moving. I’ll be digging the one I planted up. Contract said tortoise enclosures go with us and I consider it part of the enclosure. The winter killed my hibiscus. Was very disappointed. It was getting really big and gave tons of leaves for them last fall.
I can’t find fruitless mulberry trees anywhere near us and shipping is ridiculous from the one place I found online, so I have fruit bearing ones. I’m planting them in our front yard near our other fruit trees we are planting. We are also doing blueberry trees for the humans and some grape or mulberry for both of us.
I’ve decided to keep my hibiscus plants in pots and put up a temporary greenhouse each winter for them. It doesn’t get terribly cold here. Maybe I bought the wrong kind.

Relic

Here
My three mulberry trees look good. I only put one in the ground because we are moving. I’ll be digging the one I planted up. Contract said tortoise enclosures go with us and I consider it part of the enclosure. The winter killed my hibiscus. Was very disappointed. It was getting really big and gave tons of leaves for them last fall.
I can’t find fruitless mulberry trees anywhere near us and shipping is ridiculous from the one place I found online, so I have fruit bearing ones. I’m planting them in our front yard near our other fruit trees we are planting. We are also doing blueberry trees for the humans and some grape or mulberry for both of us.
I’ve decided to keep my hibiscus plants in pots and put up a temporary greenhouse each winter for them. It doesn’t get terribly cold here. Maybe I bought the wrong kind.

There are tropical hibiscus (large flowers) that can't handle the cold - below 50 degrees they start dropping leaves. Then there is the hardy hibiscus (smaller flowers) - Rose of Sharon, Althea - that can go below freezing (deciduous, dropping all its leaves) then comes back strong in the spring. I have both, but my yellow foot prefers the large flowers from the tropical variety.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
There are tropical hibiscus (large flowers) that can't handle the cold - below 50 degrees they start dropping leaves. Then there is the hardy hibiscus (smaller flowers) - Rose of Sharon, Althea - that can go below freezing (deciduous, dropping all its leaves) then comes back strong in the spring. I have both, but my yellow foot prefers the large flowers from the tropical variety.
I think I’ll buy some hardy hibiscus. I’ve been reading about them. The other I got was supposedly a rose of Sharon and had small flowers. I’ve had an Althea for years but some fungus killed it last summer. Was so sad. We had brought it from our first house we owned.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
How long does it take a hibiscus to grow, I bought one and it’s currently about 6 inches tall, I’m I looking at years before I get flowers?
I started mine from cuttings from a friend, so they are only a few inches tall. I've never had them before, so I really don't know how long it takes. My challenge will be keeping everything alive in the heat of summer.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

So sorry about your hibiscus! I hope I can keep mine going in the heat.

My mulberries are also fruited, but they are the dwarf variety. I put them where the dropped berries shouldn't be a problem. I like mulberries...maybe there won't be that many on the ground!

Be sure to send pix of your new home! How exciting!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Actually, I don't know which I have!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I let3 potted tropical hibiscus get under 50 and they dropped all leaves but are coming back strong now and look to have blooms soon. I planted ROS cuttings last summer although still on th small side they have all come back and have leaves at this point.
Ah, good! Then there is hope! Heat is way more an issue for me, but it does go below 50 in the winter. Maybe I'll have to put something over them.

ColaCarbonaria

Pensacola, Florida
Ah, good! Then there is hope! Heat is way more an issue for me, but it does go below 50 in the winter. Maybe I'll have to put something over them.

I covered a time or two and brought them into the garage twice when we flirted with freezing but they basically lived outside all winter and I’m happy with how they are coming back. We get hot but not desert hot like you but mine need a lot of water and they get some shade from th crepe myrtles during summer.
IMG_1555542038.604344.jpg