Nursery Bought Plants

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I started mine from cuttings from a friend, so they are only a few inches tall. I've never had them before, so I really don't know how long it takes. My challenge will be keeping everything alive in the heat of summer.

Ditto! I’ve put mine in a pot and once it grows some I will move it into a larger pot. I’ve put it in full sun as I read that they really only like sunny spots. I’m in the UK so my son is not as hot as yours.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
This is a shot of my hardy hibiscus, probably 4-5 years old. One variety in front is about 6 feet tall, the darker one in back is about 12 feet tall. View attachment 270147

Question: do you cut them down for the winter? I have two just like that. Pink and lavender chiffon... I thought they were dead because I had not pruned them back but they are full of leaves now... I bought two new ones this year from the Texas master Gardner’s and FFA sale. They were labeled hibiscus and I asked if they were the hardy kind and was told yes. But they don’t look anything like my others. They are soft stemmed still and the leaves are giant compared to my others.. ..

Relic

Here
I sometimes trim them back 12-18 inches just to even up the tops some, but they generally are as neglected as an old shoe. They thrive on neglect...

There is a variety of hardy hibiscus that produces flowers as big as dinner plates, but I believe it dies back to the ground here in north Texas. I don't currently have one.

JustLivingLife714

5 Year Member
California
I have searched high and low for anyone in my area who has grapevine or mulberry, and failed completely.

So I was forced to order plants online. We will assume that pesticides were used on them at the nursery.
With that said, they aren't very big yet. Here's my plan.
I planted them in plain potting soil with no additives, but did not wash the original soil off them. For me, keeping the plants alive is my first priority.
It's currently 113 deg in my yard...a death sentence for new baby trees. Dwarf mulberry bushes are to be planted in spring, so they will stay inside til then. The grape I will keep in til fall, when the temps come down.
In the meantime they will be watered and allowed to grow. By next spring, they should be safe re' any pesticides, right?
The 2 little ones on the right are the dwarf mulberry. The larger one on left is Thomson Seedless grape.
Any suggestions how to grow them are appreciated...I have a black thumb!View attachment 243379

How'd your plants work out for you?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mh Thompson seedless grape grows like a weed every year and covers the entire back part of the house. Always prune for leaf growth & not for grape growth

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
How'd your plants work out for you?
The grape I spoke of died, but I ordered 3 vines this spring. They went directly into the ground, and all 3 are doing wonderfully! They are Thompson's seedless.

The 2 dwarf mulberry trees are also doing very well. They have lots of growing to do, but are looking healthy.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
4 massive leaf growth every year prune all the way back to the stump you'll get so many grape leaves the following year you won't know what to do with them

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
4 massive leaf growth every year prune all the way back to the stump you'll get so many grape leaves the following year you won't know what to do with them
Wow! If that happens Chug and I will be so thankful! My husband will be incredulous...he says any plant I touch is doomed from the moment I get it...I REALLY want to prove him wrong! [emoji2]

JustLivingLife714

5 Year Member
California
The grape I spoke of died, but I ordered 3 vines this spring. They went directly into the ground, and all 3 are doing wonderfully! They are Thompson's seedless.

The 2 dwarf mulberry trees are also doing very well. They have lots of growing to do, but are looking healthy.

Where did you get your dwarf mulberry trees? I need one for my yearlings.