Nursing a CA Desert Tort - need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
I am the uber-proud owner of a sulcata and a Russian tort. Did my research and, of course, did a lot of asking questions here. Just prior to getting our first tortoise, we had friends post on FACEBOOK that they were moving from AZ and wanted to know if someone wanted their Desert Tortoise. We responded a close second, but it was our best friends a few blocks away that ended up with what turned out to be just a little tortoise - maybe 3-4 inches?

Anyway, I was approached by the family this morning and asked if I would be able to take a look at the tortoise and even keep it at the house to help "nurse it" some. They don't think he's doing very well. After asking some simple questions, I can tell that this guy probably isn't doing well. He's not had any lights (no UVB, no heat). He's just been in a 10 gallon aquarium in a bedroom, so whatever natural light may come in, that is what he's been getting.

We're going over for dinner tonight, and will be bringing back the little guy with us. My goal is to give this guy a good RE-BOOT and get him on his way to good health. The owners are good people and will care for him well with good information. I think they were given the "it's a desert tortoise and you live in the desert so he'll be fine" type of advise. I want to bring this little one back in a month or two (or whenever he/she is healthy) and present them with a complete proper set up as a gift. (They're boys are my godsons, and they LOVE animals.)

Sorry this was long, but I don't have a lot of information about desert torts and wanted to give a heads up. I will be posting pictures and more information tomorrow evening.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
As I too just got a DT I will not give you any advice since I'm still learning myself. Good luck with him and we'll be waiting for the photos. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

I am always surprised when someone apologizes for a "long" post. I don't believe we have any limit on the number of words sentences or paragraphs. I always make long posts. I am pretty sure that when someone sees my name as the original poster it scares them and they don't read it. As you IMHO didn't ask any specific questions I will tell you that Gopherus agassizii are very fragile youngsters. He needs a UVB light and good food. Spring Mix will do, that's what I used to feed my babies. Cut it up like for a salad and add other greens like endive and romaine red and green leaf lettuces, stuff like that and cut it all up and mix it all around for him. Warm him up as if he is not warm enough he won't eat. Soak him daily or every other day and add a couple of drops of bird vitamins in it. Here's a link for you...

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Gagassiziicare.htm

rwfoss

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I am always surprised when someone apologizes for a "long" post. I don't believe we have any limit on the number of words sentences or paragraphs. I always make long posts. I am pretty sure that when someone sees my name as the original poster it scares them and they don't read it. As you IMHO didn't ask any specific questions I will tell you that Gopherus agassizii are very fragile youngsters. He needs a UVB light and good food. Spring Mix will do, that's what I used to feed my babies. Cut it up like for a salad and add other greens like endive and romaine red and green leaf lettuces, stuff like that and cut it all up and mix it all around for him. Warm him up as if he is not warm enough he won't eat. Soak him daily or every other day and add a couple of drops of bird vitamins in it. Here's a link for you...

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Gagassiziicare.htm

Knee jerk reaction, I guess - apologizing for long posts. :D

Thank you for the link!! I kept reading after my post and saw how important water and soaking can be after hypernation to flush out toxins. I'll have him soaked tonight!

M

Maggie Cummings

If he is not warm enough to metabolize the food he won't eat. His system needs to be about 85 degrees, if he isn't he just won't eat. So soak him and put a light on him even if it's just a regular bulb. He needs something to warm him up. He needs to be directly under a light bulb. He won't be warm enough even if your room is warm. HE needs to be warm. It's a serious thing and you are walking a fine line...

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Real quick update before I dash off to work. Here are two pictures I took last night. When I went to put him back, I put my fingers on the top and bottom of his shell and he is completely soft. The shell is like leather on both sides!

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Shelly said:
Where did they get him? I hope he was not removed from the wild...

Shelly,

The friends that currently own him got him from some other friends of ours that we haven't seen in a while. I'm not 100% sure where they got him from, but I don't think it was from the wild. I will locate them on FB and find out, though.

M

Maggie Cummings

It is my experience that once they get soft they end up dying. So I just kinda wanted to give you a heads up that he may not make it.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
He's getting sun outside, and then heat lamp and UVB inside. I offered a small salad with calcium, water, and a cuddlebone. He took took big chomps out of the cuddlebone, which is good. I know his odds aren't great, but here's to hoping and praying!!

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Quick update - On the morning of 4/20/10, I gave little guy a finely chopped small salad sprinkled with calcium powder. When dropping it off, I noticed he had taken two good sized bites from the cuddlebone I put in his enclosure. Gave him fresh water, and went to work. When I got home yesterday evening, he had eaten all of his salad (which the previous owners state he won't eat for them). That tells me my temperatures are better. He also drank a good portion of his water. I repeated everything this morning.

Fingers crossed, small steps...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Small steps... Very good though! If he is eating he has a much better chance than if he isn't.

I would also suggest some bird vitamin soaks, and a few drops in his regular water dish.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Poor little guy, I sure hope he keeps improving!
I'm such a research freak. I can't understand how they could have him, not knowing what he needs. Sounds like he's in good hands now.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
pugsandkids said:
Poor little guy, I sure hope he keeps improving!
I'm such a research freak. I can't understand how they could have him, not knowing what he needs. Sounds like he's in good hands now.

I know what you mean. I really think it's a case of the original owners making it sound easy. Hey, it's a desert tortoise - we live in the desert - you're good.

I'm wondering, if we can get the shell to harden up and he lives, what type of deformities he might experience?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It would be a good idea to try to find some liquid calcium. But remember that calcium won't work without the Vitamin d3 from the sun (or from a UV light).

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Well, the only change I've seen in my little house guest is that he is eating most of the food I am giving him every day. He is getting soaks, and he is drinking too. However, I have seen no evidence of his going to the bathroom at all. He is able to move around his enclosure, but like he was a week ago, it is slow and lethargic.

Status
Not open for further replies.