Nursing a CA Desert Tort - need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
So, still no visible use of the restroom. No stool, no urine. And still appears lethargic.

He appears to be bloated. His skin does not have wrinkles around his neck and legs. I'll try to get a picture posted, but it looks uncomfortable.

He got a baby food (carrot) bath last night (see other post about sick desert torts), and still offering calcium powdered food every day.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
If he isn't passing stool, and is eating, he is impacted. I would be especially worried with the looks of bloating, he could be becoming septic.

It is time for a vet, IMHO.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Here are three pictures I took this morning after a soak. The third picture does show some signs of feces, which is good, but that's the first sign I've seen. The pictures really show the bloating I'm talking about. Are there any natural ways to take care of that?

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, man...that doesn't look good. Might be renal failure. I really do think you need a qualified vet to help you with this tortoise.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Poor guy!!! I agree with Yvonne. I Hope you get him to a good vet soon!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Please take that little one to a qualified vet and get it some help. He needs more then you can get off of this forum. Don't let him suffer he does not look good. Let us know. :(

tcpartymama

5 Year Member
Fountain Valley
OMG! You must get this guy to a qualified reptile vet! I rescued a baby desert tortoise and he had soft shell, beak deformaty, and very lathargic. My vet even said, don't get too attached. However, with proper lighting, heating, hand feeding, medicating with calcium drops and plain old TLC, he pulled through. I really hope this guy makes it. Good luck to you. Keep us posted. You have a lot of people on this thread hoping for the best.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
I'm going to be contacting a great Vet tomorrow. I'm hoping I can do some kind of payment plan if it it expensive, because we're kind of tight right now. The owners didn't know what they were getting into and don't want to take him to the vet. (I know what you want to say, but these are my best friends. Please be kind.) If I can get a vet to take a look and, if it gets expensive, allow me to make payments, we'll be good. But yes, I want him taken in right away.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
It cost me under $100. to take my under 1 year old CDT to the vet for a thorough checkup when I discovered his plastron was soft after adopting him. The longer you wait, the graver the condition, which looks ominous at this time. I hope the vet will be understanding, things are tight for them around here, and it seems we all need to help eachother out...best of luck

rwfoss

5 Year Member
I got the name of a good herp guy near my work. My friend with an adult female Leopard tort uses him and loves him. I went ahead and made an appointment. With their schedule and mine, I cannot get him in until Friday. In the meantime, he is still eating, still getting soaks, etc. I'm not going to tell the owners that I'm paying for a vet visit, because I don't want them to feel bad. The visit itself will be $55, which isn't bad. I'm just hoping they can work with me if meds/treatment is expensive.

I'll keep you posted...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I hope he does well, I am no expert but he definetly looks bloated to me. Here is hoping it works out and you get some good news.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
When I got home yesterday evening, I poked my head into the tort room, like I usually do. This little guy is almost ALWAYS hiding. The only time I see him out is when I pick him up in the morning and put him in his food dish. Last night, he was wandering around, loooking alerts, foraging for more food. I gave him another little salad and he went right to it and finished it. He is eating well! Let's just hope we can get him...GOING!

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Another good sign today. Since I am gone at work all day and don't get to soak the little guy until the evening, I asked my wife to do it in the middle of the day when he is apt to be more awake. She just called me and said he kept drinking and walking around - seemed to enjoy the bath. When the water cooled down, she emptied it and refilled with more warm water. She said he immediately took a nice pee! That's the first evidence of using the bathroom I've seen!

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Feeding the torts this morning, I picked up this little guy and noticed a reduction in the swelling. He looks much better and is able to tuck his head and legs in more.

Signs keep looking better. Vet visit tomorrow...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
good to hear

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Just a couple of pics from the little tort's breakfast this morning...

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Hey! He looks a lot better!! Good Luck tomorrow with the vet visit! Hope you get to find out what the cause/problem was.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Thank goodness he/she is better!

I wonder sometimes, if the little critters are so ill, and we warm them up and feed them more & better right away, if this doesn't tax their metabolic rate enough to cause a bit of fluid overload on their kidneys??? I am wondering if we had a somewhat debilitated tort, we should ease them into a regular portioned diet? I am going to ask our vet next time I take the torts in for a check up!

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Sudhira said:
Thank goodness he/she is better!

I wonder sometimes, if the little critters are so ill, and we warm them up and feed them more & better right away, if this doesn't tax their metabolic rate enough to cause a bit of fluid overload on their kidneys??? I am wondering if we had a somewhat debilitated tort, we should ease them into a regular portioned diet? I am going to ask our vet next time I take the torts in for a check up!

That's a darn good question! I'll ask today too!

Status
Not open for further replies.