Nursing a CA Desert Tort - need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Sorry, just getting happier about this guy. He took two poops in three hours. Another good sign. Now, we just need his carapace and plastron to harden up!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
well I don't want to give false hopes, but I think your little guy is doing 100% better keep up the good work. He does not look bloated anymore either.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
What did the vet say? You will need calcium glubionate ( liquid calcium ) from the vet to harden the plastron up...it works!!!

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Okay, so I just got home from the turtle doctor, the chiropractor, an hour drive, and then the grocery store. So, the vet said based on the way the tortoise was earlier in the week, he was shocked to see how well he is doing now! He did a thorough examination and said that he looks really good. He made me feel proud when he said that we did everything right and probably saved his life. (So thanks for all of the advise!!) He said that keeping up the diet, giving daily sun, and continue with the calcium powder on his food, he will continue to improve and his shell will harden up.

Now the visit, as I said earlier, was only $55 - a cost I'm absorbing without telling the owners since they didn't want pay for a visit. My wife wasn't too happy when I told her, but she knew that I'd be frustrated if she told me no. (That's why I did it first and told her about it later. Yeah, I'm a jerk.)

So little Tony Hawk is going to be okay after all, so it seems!!

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Good job. Maybe your friend will let you keep the tort; he needs a good daddy like you!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, good to hear though.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, good to hear though.

Indeed, and good job on the nursing care! Little Hawk is so lucky to have found you!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I think you are doing that baby a HUGE disservice by not telling the owners that you had to take him to the vet.

I know they are good friends of yours, and I am not bashing them or telling you to be mean. But I am sorry, they NEED to feel a BIT bad about this, and understand that this baby was VERY close to death. You are putting all this time and money into saving this little life, and unless they know how serious this was, how do you know this poor kid won't be right back in the same situation in a year?

I know you have faith in your friends, and I am not automatically assuming that they are bad people. If they are good friends to someone as compassionate as you, it is pretty much impossible for that to be true. But you need to sit down and tell them the whole truth. They need to know the level of care that is required to keep that baby going.

Tell them that the vet visit was a gift to them and the tortoise, and if they insist on paying, let them. If they are not financially stable, tell them $5 a week would do it. But keeping the vet visit from them is very wrong.

You also need to show them the pictures of him at his very worst. Otherwise, how will they know what to look for? If that was indeed renal failure, it can and most likely will happen again. If they think he is just getting chubby, he could die.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
I think you are doing that baby a HUGE disservice by not telling the owners that you had to take him to the vet.

I know they are good friends of yours, and I am not bashing them or telling you to be mean. But I am sorry, they NEED to feel a BIT bad about this, and understand that this baby was VERY close to death. You are putting all this time and money into saving this little life, and unless they know how serious this was, how do you know this poor kid won't be right back in the same situation in a year?

I know you have faith in your friends, and I am not automatically assuming that they are bad people. If they are good friends to someone as compassionate as you, it is pretty much impossible for that to be true. But you need to sit down and tell them the whole truth. They need to know the level of care that is required to keep that baby going.

Tell them that the vet visit was a gift to them and the tortoise, and if they insist on paying, let them. If they are not financially stable, tell them $5 a week would do it. But keeping the vet visit from them is very wrong.

You also need to show them the pictures of him at his very worst. Otherwise, how will they know what to look for? If that was indeed renal failure, it can and most likely will happen again. If they think he is just getting chubby, he could die.

You do bring up a good point. In my conversations with them, they were both really concerned for him and knew that his conditions probably weren't right, which is why they called me. I told them about the bloating and the probability his kidneys were shutting down. They are also very willing to allow me to dictate his care and needs, such as proper lighting, diet, need for sun, etc. They are good with that and said they are totally willing to do whatever I say needs to be done.

As for the vet, I was actually thinking this morning about telling them, even before I read your post. I have no problems making this a gift for his children, my Godchildren. They love animals and are hoping Tony Hawk can come home soon.

Thank you for your thoughts on this. Rest assured they are good people who do love animals. Not to mention that I am there on a weekly basis, so I'll be checking up on him now that I know about him!

rwfoss said:
Sudhira said:
Thank goodness he/she is better!

I wonder sometimes, if the little critters are so ill, and we warm them up and feed them more & better right away, if this doesn't tax their metabolic rate enough to cause a bit of fluid overload on their kidneys??? I am wondering if we had a somewhat debilitated tort, we should ease them into a regular portioned diet? I am going to ask our vet next time I take the torts in for a check up!

That's a darn good question! I'll ask today too!

Okay, so you are on to something here. The vet seemed to think that this could very well be a reason for the bloating. We won't know for sure, but he said that it made a lot of sense. So this might be a good thing to research!

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Not that another update is needed, but this little guy keeps showing that he is on the mend! He looks great, he's pooping when soaked, and has quite an appetite. I went to turn the lights out last night and he was wandering around looking for food, so I gave him a late night snack. He looked up at me after each bite, then head down into the bowl.

WooHoo!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
well keep me posted at least I am glad to hear of his improvement.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Here are some pictures taken today right after Tony Hawk's bath...

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

rwfoss

5 Year Member
His carapace seems to be hardening up nice. His underside (forgot the name for it) is still too soft, but I think it's a little better. He's eating and going to the bathroom normally.

S

Scooter

So glad to hear he is doing better. Please keep up with the updates. He is very cute :D

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I am saying a little prayer for the little guy, please continue to give updates.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Very cute, indeed. I like that "got calcium" look on the torts.
Hope he continues to do better.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Here he is today, just before going and getting a little outdoor time.

IMG_1335.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.