Nutritional value for Grape and Mulberry leaves

Prairie Mom

Today, I was talking with some members about the nutritional value in Grape and Mulberry leaves. I found these two websites that give the nutritional information for grape leaves and for mulberry leaves. My little Sulcata Mavis arrived with obvious calcium deficiency, so I'm always looking for calcium rich natural food sources.

Grape leaves: 50.8mg Calcium http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/3038/2

Mulberry leaves: 2700mg Calcium! http://www.laoswisssilk.com/en-us/pages/9/

So, now, I definitely get what the big deal is about Mulberry leaves and WANT SOME for my Mavis. Meanwhile, she'll continue enjoying grape leaves and other good sources of calcium:)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
How do you get the cuttings to root? I cut like 50 off a tree and all died .

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I have not tried cuttings. Birds take care of spreading these for me with the seeds. Only one of mine fruits the rest are small to med size that have not fruited. I get so many saplings in the spring shoot up because we don't mow our tree line until early summer. I will try to remeber to post them in the spring, if any one wants any.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have only a young mulberry tree so not many spare leaves and it's easy to see that my tortoises love them. However, I have tons of grape vines and no one will touch the leaves, edible or not.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I ordered three mulberry three from a online nursery. They came-in like only 3 inches tall. after two year, that are over 6 foot tall but still not producing too many leaves, I just had then planted into the ground this spring. I hope in another two years. I will have some surplus.

Louisiana
Is there anywhere to get a mulberry tree that is larger size. I'm from Louisiana

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum.
Peaches

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have spent the last couple of days cutting out mulberry trees/bushes. lol I have lots of them growing all over the place to use for food and came no where near using even 5% of what I grew. Strange thing this year, my two older sulcatas decided they didn't want to eat any. :( Mavis will have a box of them coming next week. lol

Prairie Mom

How do you get the cuttings to root? I cut like 50 off a tree and all died .
Hi Mike, I have no experience with Mulberry and I was just curious if you tried using root hormone compounds with you cuttings and whether that seemed to make any difference?

Prairie Mom

I have only a young mulberry tree so not many spare leaves and it's easy to see that my tortoises love them. However, I have tons of grape vines and no one will touch the leaves, edible or not.
Darn! You have picky eaters! Grape leaves are nutritious too, little stinkers!

Prairie Mom

I wonder how much is lost with dried leaves? Would using this sprinkled on fresh food be worth it??
http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Mulberry-Loose-Natural-Imports/dp/B00NICJ8TQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1412814706&sr=1-5&keywords=loose mulberry leaves

I made my own for the winter because its free but for those without....what do you think?
Interesting question. I'm curious what others think. I imagine that the leaves would lose some nutrition with the drying process, but on the other hand...those leaves are so amazingly nutritious that it could still be worth it.

Prairie Mom

Mavis will have a box of them coming next week. lol

You are soooo awesome! I will definitely refund your shipping and I hope to send out some of my indoor gardening experiments in the near future as a fun gift:)

Prairie Mom

It sure made me jealous! LOL! Wish I were in the US. Would be so cool to swap stuff.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES
I know! I thought about that too :( Heck!-I'd love to try some Jabuticabas too:)