Nutrobal and Supplements Opinions

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I’d love to have some opinions on supplements. I’ve read several different things.

I was advised to supplement with Nutrobal, I’m not sure if you are familiar with it or not, it’s widely available here in the U.K. here it’s it’s ingredients:
IMG_1657.jpg

How many times per week should I use this?

My baby is about 1.5” and kept in a viv with a T8 10% desert UVB. I’ve only had him 3 days.

I have read that That people use it 3 times per week and on the days not using it Then to dust with just calcium powder. That’s means supplements everyday... surely that is too much?

It contains D3 and I’ve heard about overdosing, although I’m not sure if I read here or on the Tortoise Trust that it’s almost impossible to overdose on dietary D3... not sure how true that is but I’ll try and find the article.

Any help is appreciated, I’m trying to do everything right.

SteveW

I’d love to have some opinions on supplements. I’ve read several different things.

I was advised to supplement with Nutrobal, I’m not sure if you are familiar with it or not, it’s widely available here in the U.K. here it’s it’s ingredients:
View attachment 237475

How many times per week should I use this?

My baby is about 1.5” and kept in a viv with a T8 10% desert UVB. I’ve only had him 3 days.

I have read that That people use it 3 times per week and on the days not using it Then to dust with just calcium powder. That’s means supplements everyday... surely that is too much?

It contains D3 and I’ve heard about overdosing, although I’m not sure if I read here or on the Tortoise Trust that it’s almost impossible to overdose on dietary D3... not sure how true that is but I’ll try and find the article.

Any help is appreciated, I’m trying to do everything right.

Hi there. No claims of expertise here, but I’ll tell you what I know. First off, there are no established vitamin/mineral dosage requirements that I have been able to find. There’s extrapolations and best practices based on successful results. Also, anecdotally, I have never seen the symptoms of deficiency (such as MBD) except where EVERYTHING is wrong. Such as, no sun, no uvb, no supplements and poor diet. I have also never seen an overdose of supplements.
My point is there seems to be a wide range of acceptable. The safety margins seem to be:
1) offer a wide variety of foods and the risk of deficiency goes down
2) offer regular soaks and hydration and the risks of over-supplementation goes down.

Overall, there seem to be general consensus around calcium a couple times a week and a vitamin/mineral a couple times a week, but many successful keepers use both more and less.
I tend to use daily, but small amounts, and when they are getting regular outside time, I skip the D3.
Lastly, I think the reference to dietary D3 overdose refers to naturally occurring D3, not added supplements.
Hope this helps.

daniellenc

Maryland
I would sparingly sprinkle maybe once a week if that and have used something called nutribac with a sick snake but no experience with that one either.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Thank you that all makes sense.
I’m trying my best to give it the best I can, I’m waiting for some weeds to grow so I hope then to be able to really offer a variety of foods. I am also soaking every day for 30 Mins.
Is it ok to feed a tiny amount of things like cucumber I mean like a couple of 3mm size pieces a couple of times a week just to be sure that the supplement is getting in. My tort is tiny, and eats everyday but I can’t be sure that it’s getting supplement unless I put it on the cucumber as I know that is eaten!

daniellenc

Maryland
I personally wouldn’t for the small amount that is needed but I’m no expert. Cucumber just doesn’t have much to it nutritionally