Observed behavior of my Red footed tortoises.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Here in Florida, it is truly hot and sunny most of the year, but during the summer, it rains and I mean every day. Usually the rain will begin at about 1:30-2:00 pm and continue until about 5 or 6 pm. During very heavy thunderstorms I have been going outside to check on my red foots and I've found that instead of being nice and try in the dog houses, they are always walking around in the rain or sitting under an unsubstantial structure..such as a plant or small flower pot. Eyes wide open, looking around. I've also seen them munching on earth worms in the mud. I've had a Russian and two Sulcata tortoises. They all quickly fled from the rain. Just like I would. Red foots (feet?) love the rain. Even near hurricane style thunderstorms! Also noted. My adult male, JULIO, that loves my wife but doesn't like me...seems to like me know. I recently had to take care of a sugar ant problem in his pen and his baby brother, Hercules was in his out doors "back-up" pen, so I placed Julio into the yard. It's fenced and large. He roamed the yard quickly and ate a few plants, then came back and sat by my feet. I moved and he continued to follow me like a puppy. Once the enclosure was ready we both went inside and I had to sit down to pump the water out of his pool and clean it/ change the water. He spent the whole time trying to get into my lap and sleeping sitting next to me. I'm not sure if it's actual affection. It's behavior I haven't seen before and I kind of like it!

junebugsmom

10 Year Member!
Orlando Florida
My redfoot loves for me to shower her with the hose or sprinkler. She will come out of her enclosure as soon as she feels the water.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
My red foots also enjoy rain too. I use to get scared and bring them in as soon as it was raining in summers in MI. One summer it was hot and started to rain, no lighting, & I said what the heck I'm gonna let them stay & see how they react...they appeared to really like it. When it started to rain, it was so new to them, you can see that they really enjoyed it. All 4 of mine didn't hide at all, they roamed and/or just sat there and got rained on. They had plenty of hiding areas too.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Funny! My Redfoots are outside in southern Calif. all day. Sprinklers rain down on them 3 times daily. If they are sleeping in a bush, they come running out. They love the rain .
Yours are so lucky to live in this environment. It's perfect!