Obtaining sulcatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Dean

5 Year Member
First, I know alot of you recommend adopting rescues, and for obvious reasons that I agree with, but for these first ones, I would like hatchlings.

I am considering three, as I'm told pairs are a bad idea, and my table should be plenty large, 8x4 with a 2x4 hide.

I live in Louisiana. Local pet store does sell sulcatas, and I think they are fairly young, few weeks to a couple months, but I also know they don't get their soakings etc. and are not fed or kept per recommendations, and it takes them a few months to rotate out typically, at least now they only keep 2-3 on hand vs 10-15

Is shipping wggs or hatchlings a viable option? If so, who would y'all recommend? If not, should I try to find my local stores source, so that I can get them as young as possible maybe straight from the breeder? Not to save money but to get one that hasn't had the opportunity to be kept incorrectly. I would, if needed, offer the per store a small fee so that they don't feel they are being cut our for costs reasons.

And zamric, if you read this, you've got the best looking torts I've seen, and walking rock looks amazing. What is your secret?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
It's not so much if you have room for the three as hatchlings, but will you have room to house all three as adults and separately if needed? Personally if your wanting to buy from a breeder, I myself recommend Tom's. I don't know if Kelly (tortadise) has any for sale right now, but his are another source I would think about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Jacqui. I do have a whole bunch right now and more hatching each day. In addition to Kelly, I've also been impressed with Austin and Lance's babies too. If you would prefer to deal with more of a "business" and less of a small time hobbiest like me, Tyler at tortoisesupply.com has some good one's right now too.

Lots of good choices out there.

Jimmy Dean

5 Year Member
I've got 3 acres right now, with a few spots that would be a good place to fence of 1/4 acre. I figure that should be large enough for 3 huh? I mean, that is 10,000 square feet, and could fit a nice sized shed on it for there home.

Good thing is louisiana is pretty warm year round as well, wouldn't be hard to keep a shed heated in the winter

Jimmy Dean

5 Year Member
Thank you both for the suggestions. I'm still likely a few months out from being ready, I need to finish the table, and then run it for a bit to maker sure temps and humidity stay in range, if not, will need to redesign to a closed chamber

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Jimmy Dean said:
Thank you both for the suggestions. I'm still likely a few months out from being ready, I need to finish the table, and then run it for a bit to maker sure temps and humidity stay in range, if not, will need to redesign to a closed chamber
I really admire your approach to keeping a sulcata. Doing the research, constructing the environment, and then testing the environment before introducing the animal. Any sulcata that has you as their keeper will be very lucky indeed.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Im also in LA. I got my three from Lance. They are doing good in a closed chamber. With days outside weather permitting.

☆Jenn☆ and The Sulcata Hatchies, Cera, Ducky, and Spike!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To answer your question, yes, it is quite ok to ship babies. They do it all the time. "Overnight" usually means you take the package to the shipper late in the afternoon and it gets delivered the next day sometimes before noon, sometimes before 5p (depending upon what the shipping party chooses). When the packages are marked properly, and the babies packaged correctly, there is no worry.

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
It sounds like you we doing your homework beforehand and not rushing it. That is great. You also have a large piece of property to house them when they are adult size.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Great job for doing all your research first. My boy kinda found me, he wasnt expected but greatly loved. My lucky part was he was 6 years old so didnt need the table and a pretty good size but still scrabbling to get the proper environment was a challenge. I never would have been able to do it without Tom and a lot of other great members. Willie is now outside in a shed and sectioned off part of the yard- for his safety while we are not home. He loves it! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.