OC Turtle Show *PIC HEAVY*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Here are some of the pictures I took from the OC CTTC Live Turtle and Tortoise Show. I was there presenting the Hot and Humid Method for raising Leopard Tortoises. I also promoted TFO :D and believe it or not passed out every business card Josh sent me (it was a lot!!) before the show was even half way over!! :tort:

This is my table display. I have 2 binders full of pictures in front of the display box. One contains pics of smooth vs. pyramiding leopards and the other contains pics of my outdoor pen and various closed chambers (all pics include the owners name for reference)
2pqopiq.jpg

qx107s.jpg

2cz3fj7.jpg

This is my care sheet and the TFO business cards. The care sheet explains my specific closed chamber set up and has references to TFO and The End of Pyramiding Threads
r6zugw.jpg

Can't forget about my "controversial" signs. These 2 little 8x10 pictures do ruffle up quite a few feathers...
4tpykp.jpg

And this is the COOLEST sign ;) Thanks James (Kameya) I put it on one of the closed chambers at home! Next year I'm buying a big awesome sign for the yard. :D
313radu.jpg

I only took 2 of my 5 leopards. My 5.5" inch smooth leopard raised humid from the start and the 3.5" inch one raised dry with pyramiding. It made for a good comparison since they are the same age. What's interesting is in the 2 months I've had the smaller one, he has had all new smooth growth and grown quite a bit. So it wasn't as big of a contrast. That's ok though..next year I'll have 4 smooth leopards and 1 smooth with small bumps to show ;) Plus I was right next to a table with adult leopards full of spikes. People saw the comparison pretty well that way!! I can't believe how many people told me they thought Leopards are supposed to be "bumpy".
2e6a14j.jpg

nbb87.jpg

The OC president's husband and 1 of his 4 galapagos girls. I had fun getting in there with them and scratching their necks and legs :) Very cool torts.
2dgp9oh.jpg

Last year they filled the pen with hay but people tracked it all over the room as they left. This year, the pen was just tarp and helped keep things much cleaner.
2yv2q90.jpg

A rep from Waterland tubs was there. He had a lot of tiny adorable baby turtles on display. Absolutely adorable!!
sf9yj5.jpg

xeequ.jpg

The table neighbor across from me. They had some Russians and boxie's on display. I didn't talk to them much...some of the other exhibitors didn't seem too interested in talking to me before the show lol. What caught my attention most about their table was the boxing ring. They put a box turtle in there with a worm and kids liked watching "the match" :D
11c8az7.jpg

99e795.jpg

This next piece is pretty special :D JD (N2TORTS) came to see the show and brought me this as a gift. It's totally awesome. I set it up on the display table for the show and now have it in my Leopard's pen.
23su91v.jpg

2ro70k8.jpg

Last year the show had over 400people. This year there were over 1,800! The show was from 10-3. It was packed almost the entire time.
2e1rvaf.jpg

dhajvs.jpg

I learned a lot from doing this show and have some tweaks to make before my next one. Being at a table next to adult leopards allowed for certain conversations to come up or topics to be addressed that may not have come up otherwise.
Tom, I want to talk with you about some of this stuff and get your input ;) But I'll save that for later....

I had a blast, I love sharing TFO with others and bringing awareness to other Leopard (and sulcata) keepers on how important hydration is to growing them smoothly/naturally!

I know there were at least half a dozen people that will be doing things differently for their torts after the show :)

Thanks for looking!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Fantastic, I went and took Mom:D She had a good time. She was having a little trouble navagating her walker through the narrow isles so we left early. Pretty cool event, you did a great job

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cool write up and pics.

Shoot me an email for some tortoise talk.

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
Thanks for the pics! I really wanted my kids to see the Galapagos [PENSIVE FACE] Hopefully we can make it next year :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Please join me in a standing ovation for Heather! : )
Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing!
Love that people learned a better way for their tortoises.
YAY!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great job Heather. Great display. Glad you are able to get out there and educate people. Hopefully someday every tortoise will be raised the correct, smooth way:)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds like you did a fabulous job. Wish I lived closer.
Hmmm, maybe next year I will 'need' to visit my son about that time, and 'oh look, the OC LTTC show is going on too!'

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I appreciate the use of my pictures, however, the caption above one of my pictures says that they are examples of smooth tortoises raised in high humidity. The babcocki are fine, but the pardalis that I have (although smooth) were not raised in a humid environment.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: OC Turtle Show *PIC HEAVY*

Neal said:
The babcocki are fine, but the pardalis that I have (although smooth) were not raised in a humid environment.

Thanks for this Neal!

I searched for days through threads here (closed chambers, leopards raised humid, Toms hatchlings that were from the 2010 batch, etc..) and didn't think I mis represented any pictures. Especially since I asked some for permission in the beginning.
Thanks for pointing it out. I'll correct this.

I'd love to know how they were raised. Any threads you have on them and their upbringing?? I'm interested in how anyone raises them smooth even if using a different method. ;)

Sent from my TFOapp

lynnedit said:
Sounds like you did a fabulous job. Wish I lived closer.
Hmmm, maybe next year I will 'need' to visit my son about that time, and 'oh look, the OC CTTC show is going on too!'

Niiiice! :D :D

Sent from my TFOapp

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
No problem Heather, whether with or without permission I am totally fine with the use of my pictures, especially for a good cause like this. I just want to make sure they are presented fairly. I'll try to remember to give some information on them when I have some time.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Your presentations look fabulous, Heather. Wish I could have been there.
It really looks like everyone was having a good time.
The present that Jeff made for you is off the charts!!! I love it! Very nice!
Will make every attempt to come next year.

Just joined Chino CTTC

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You did Kathy? Awesome, see you/meet you at the next meeting :D
Or are you going to the month end BBQ?

Sent from my TFOapp

Neal said:
No problem.
I just want to make sure they are presented fairly.

Me too :)

Sent from my TFOapp

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I certainly did sign up. My husband and myself.
I will be in Running Dprings for the BBQ and will try my very best to make the next meeting.
I would love to meet you!

ulkal

5 Year Member
Awesome Job, Heather.
I love that you offer "visual advice" in addition for the correct care as well as compiled material to support your arguments.
The controversial signs are a great idea for people who otherwise might walk by. Too bad I could not see it myself.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks ulkal :)

I am working on some changes. I hope to have a much better presentation from a slightly different angle next time.

Also, I know that once all the leopards are large and still smooth it will have a greater impact!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think you have done just an awesome job. It really shows a lot of time and consideration was put into it. You do yourself proud. Nice variation in the way you present the information, so everybody should find the way (or ways) for it to work on their style of learning. Very eye catching to even just draw the in.

Status
Not open for further replies.