Odd lookin rear marginal scutes on a Hermann's Tortoise

Lewis12345

Hello, yesterday I brought home my Hermann's tortoise, it is my first one and he now lives in a tortoise table. I have fed him today, dandelion weeds and a mixed rocket salad from the supermarket, which he ate enthusiastically!
I've used a tortoise substrate made from topsoil with a little bit of sand brought from pets at home. He has a water tray and he went in a few times today, which I think he quite enjoyed.
My question is that my tortoises rear marginal scutes have sort of grown pointy and don't look normal. He is under 1 year old and was captive born and bred. Here is a pic of his scutes, it's quite difficult to describe :)

He has a heat and UV emitting lamp during the day which is 75watt. Is this odd growth on his scutes normal?
Thanks for any help and advice,
Lewis

GeorgeUK

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi Lewis, I can't see the image you have posted. You might want to repost it so people with more experience than myself can offer advise :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Lewis. Picture doesn't show for me either.

Lewis12345

Oh sorry guys! How do I post the picture? Its in my camera roll of my iPhone but it asks for a URL for the image?
Sorry and thanks for your responses

Lewis12345

Thank you Matt!
Here is the pic of him when he was at the pet shop a couple of days ago, on a beech chip substrate (which I didn't really like the idea of)

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
The pointy scutes are totally normal, only the last central scute has a small anomaly. Cute! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What you're seeing is perfectly normal on baby tortoises. As he grows it smooths out and is less noticeable.

Lewis12345

That's great guys I'm so pleased an relieved! He is cute an for some reason his back three scutes have merged into one large scute!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
He is cute an for some reason his back three scutes have merged into one large scute!
I doubt that's the reason. Of course, anomalies are cute, but he looks even cuter from the front. :D