Odd Question But Need Advice

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada ??
I have a Hermanns Tortoise and am finding the substrate is affecting my breathing more now. He’s indoors as it’s winter. I can’t use soil so have been using coir and bark for a long time but I’m finding the dust from it is affecting a worsening health condition I have. Is there anything else that would be ok to use as substrate like mostly tile/terracotta, carpet or something else you could suggest? Thanks

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I didn't think coir and bark could be dusty unless they were really very dry? Is he in a heated closed enclosure? Adult or baby?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
None of the things you listed are acceptable substrates. However, you can try using just one of the two you are using. Have you tried just the bark?
Wash it when you first get it and it's okay to put in wet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...but I’m finding the dust from it...
The above quote is the problem. Tortoises need damp substrate. It should never be dry, and there should never be any dust coming from it. We use coco coir or orchid bark specifically because they are resistant to mold, fungal, and bacterial growth when constantly wet.

Soil should never be used, and it will be even more dusty if allowed to dry out, in addition to being possibly toxic or harmful in other ways.

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
I didn't think coir and bark could be dusty unless they were really very dry? Is he in a heated closed enclosure? Adult or baby?
None of the things you listed are acceptable substrates. However, you can try using just one of the two you are using. Have you tried just the bark?
The above quote is the problem. Tortoises need damp substrate. It should never be dry, and there should never be any dust coming from it. We use coco coir or orchid bark specifically because they are resistant to mold, fungal, and bacterial growth when constantly wet.

Soil should never be used, and it will be even more dusty if allowed to dry out, in addition to being possibly toxic or harmful in other ways.
Coconut coir is what I’m using, plus bark. The coconut coir is the small block kind, are you referring to the type that is more like powder/fibres that people use in crab tanks? I’m going by a Facebook group advice. The bark as well. Would you be able to show a picture or link showing which I should be using? Or orchid bark which I haven’t come across? I’m reading the wrong info on sites I think as I’d read wrong info. I definitely want to fix the problem.

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
I’ve tried them separately.. his enclosure is open. So what’s suitable and do I just mist daily?

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
Adult. The guy that had him before me used bark and coir and said the not dampen. I will change whatever is needed

LJL1982

UK
Coconut coir is what I’m using, plus bark. The coconut coir is the small block kind, are you referring to the type that is more like powder/fibres that people use in crab tanks? I’m going by a Facebook group advice. The bark as well. Would you be able to show a picture or link showing which I should be using? Or orchid bark which I haven’t come across? I’m reading the wrong info on sites I think as I’d read wrong info. I definitely want to fix the problem.
I don't understand how you have used a block without soaking it to separate it and fluff it up.

Your tortoise needs humidity, you should be spraying its substrate down once or twice a day to keep it damp, that in itself should be alleviating any dustiness.

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
I don't understand how you have used a block without soaking it to separate it and fluff it up.

Your tortoise needs humidity, you should be spraying its substrate down once or twice a day to keep it damp, that in itself should be alleviating any dustiness.
It’s not the large blocks . They are very small cubes with bark that’s sprayed down . I was told the coir that is the shredded kind was the wrong kind.
I’ll check the forums for pictures of how the substrate should be . I don’t think I’m explaining it well .

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
It’s not the large blocks . They are very small cubes with bark that’s sprayed down . I was told the coir that is the shredded kind was the wrong kind.
I’ll check the forums for pictures of how the substrate should be . I don’t think I’m explaining it well .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is what I’ve been using
Orchid bark is also sold as "Repti-bark".

Stay off of FB if you want your tortoise to live.

Read this thread. There is a care sheet at the bottom for your temperate species.

LJL1982

UK
This is what I’ve been using
That should be sprayed down regardless. Coir should be kept damp for tortoises. It's incorrect to say it causes respiratory issues to have humidity as I've seen on FB, that is only the case if the temperatures are not correct/ too low.

I would start spraying regularly before worrying too much about changing substrate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That substrate is okay. There is that kind of coir and then there is a kind that's more like sawdust. If you put the wood/orchid/fir bark over that and wet the coir and just mist the bark that should keep the humidity up and any dust, shouldn't really be any, down. You can even leave the bark dry while just wetting/dampening the coir.this is done by pouring some water into the corners.

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
That substrate is okay. There is that kind of coir and then there is a kind that's more like sawdust. If you put the wood/orchid/fir bark over that and wet the coir and just mist the bark that should keep the humidity up and any dust, shouldn't really be any, down. You can even leave the bark dry while just wetting/dampening the coir.this is done by pouring some water into the corners.
Thanks!