Odor in New Enclosure

Joey B.

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
I have a new (my first!) tortoise coming next week, a baby Greek tortoise. This weekend I'm putting together his home and tonight I bought a huge plastic tub from Wal-Mart. But, when I got home I noticed that it has a pretty strong odor in it. Nothing I would usually be concerned about, just a "plasticy" smell, but I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about &/or is there a way to get rid of it? Also, is there anything to be concerned with the lights being so close to the plastic? Again, I'm wondering if it gets warm does it put off any smells or chemicals to worry about.

I've kept parrots for years & they have such sensitive respiratory systems it's something we always have to be aware of & I wasn't sure if turtles & tortoises were similar.

Thanks in advance for any help. Picture attached of my little guy arriving Tuesday.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 12.08.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 12.08.56 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 26

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

Joey B.

Raleigh, NC
Actually, I've been back & forth about which species I wanted. I choose the marginated, actually placed an order with a place and the more I thought about it, I decided I should probably go with a smaller species. I managed to cancel the order for the marginated before he actually shipped on Wednesday. I ended up deciding on a Greek figuring he'd be easier to manage with his smaller size. I do appreciate all the info you posted earlier, it was a lot of help. I took your advice about the housing and did away with the Exo-Terra and went with a big plastic tub like everyone recommends. Still trying to come up with a way for this to be enclosed though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just set it outside in the sun for a couple days. The smell should dissipate.

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
tonight I bought a huge plastic tub from Wal-Mart. But, when I got home I noticed that it has a pretty strong odor in it. Nothing I would usually be concerned about, just a "plasticy" smell, but I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about &/or is there a way to get rid of it? .

Could you show a picture of the tub and especially the sticker on it? What type of plastic is it (maybe stamped to the bottom)?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I think just rinse out with water and leave it to breathe for a day or two.

J