Official Rodriguez Chelonians Account

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello everyone!
Some of you know me and to some of you I am new. My name is Amber Rodriguez and I run Rodriguez Chelonians with my husband Chris, in Southern California. I do have a personal account on the forum but wanted to set up a more official account as our business for you all to have another place to explore our collection and reach out if in need of direction. We work with a variety of chelonians including pure locality South African leopards, northern African leopards, eastern and western dwarf Hermann’s, Burmese stars, Sri Lankan stars, radiateds, Burmese black mountains, angulateds, Galapagos and Guerrero painted wood turtles. I’m looking forward to getting to know more of you on here. If anyone here has bought from us in the past please reach out so I can follow along in your journeys.
Amber
http://www.rodriguezchelonians.com

421088D6-23F9-4AFA-8765-E0D47999098A.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Amber! Glad to see you posting!

To everyone else,
Chris and Amber are friends of mine, lucky for me, and they are excellent people. They housed feed their adults very well and they are one of the few breeders that start babies correctly. I highly recommend them for anyone interested in the species they work with.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome.
What's this dwarf hermanns?
Most we see on here that are so called dwarf is due to lack of proper care and diet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome.
What's this dwarf hermanns?
Most we see on here that are so called dwarf is due to lack of proper care and diet.
Some of the localities of Western hermanni are smaller than the easterns and some of the other westerns. Some people refer to them as dwarf hermanni. I've heard them called that in Europe.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some of the localities of Western hermanni are smaller than the easterns and some of the other westerns. Some people refer to them as dwarf hermanni. I've heard them called that in Europe.
I see. I dislike that greatly. Mini pigs, teacup, etc. A gimmick to me that seems to have only started the last couple years when mini/tiny/etc cats, dogs, pigs, etc started becoming so big. Now tortoises. Most are the same size they always been or bred so dwarf that they are a veterinarians health nightmare.
Sadly some people put money over life.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum! I don't want another tortoise, however your tortoises on the website are very pretty.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see. I dislike that greatly. Mini pigs, teacup, etc. A gimmick to me that seems to have only started the last couple years when mini/tiny/etc cats, dogs, pigs, etc started becoming so big. Now tortoises. Most are the same size they always been or bred so dwarf that they are a veterinarians health nightmare.
Sadly some people put money over life.
Unlike your examples that are selectively bred domesticated animals, the smaller varieties of western Hermanni are naturally occurring. They are just smaller in some localities. No one is putting money over life, or trying to breed for smaller animals. Its just the way they occur in nature where they are from.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Unlike your examples that are selectively bred domesticated animals, the smaller varieties of western Hermanni are naturally occurring. They are just smaller in some localities. No one is putting money over life, or trying to breed for smaller animals. Its just the way they occur in nature where they are from.
I didnt mean they were breeding for smaller unlike the others I did mention. Not sure that's even possible with tortoises. But using the word dwarf is what my point was suppose to be. Like the others using tiny, teacup, dwarf. Brings more money. But in reality most turn out to be the same size everyone knows of. With these Hermanns, they are the same size as everyone else selling the same kind but they dont use the bigger money word dwarf.
The using of the word dwarf, tiny, mini, etc has become very big in just the last two years or so. Before then barely if ever seen.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I might be in the market for some painted wood turtles real soon. Do you ever offer adults or just Hatchlings?

California
I might be in the market for some painted wood turtles real soon. Do you ever offer adults or just Hatchlings?
Hi Todd.
I mostly have hatchlings available. I raise them to 3” before selling so they are well started. Occasionally I have let go of some subadult holdbacks and a surplus male but not often.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes just as Tom stated. These Hermann’s are naturally smaller by locality, it’s not a dietary issue. ?
No I didnt figure dietary with you lol. But that is usually all we see when someone says they have a dwarf. That or improper care all around.
It's usually not a Hermanns either.