Officially 2years old

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Really nice leopard. I'd like to see a plastron too. My male leopard (babcocki) showed me he was indeed a he, shortly after he turned two.
Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRLIE:D Here's hoping a girl for ya.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Well done Buddy. She looks good. are all 10 housed together yet? I don't remember how far apart in size they are..

My male flashed right after his 2nd bday, too!

Along with the others, I wait for the under shot!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the compliments guys. I have a plastron shot comparison that I had made between mine and an obvious male that was an inch larger that was advertised on kingsnake.com weeks back. She is on the left side and doesn't look at all like the male but that could change. Give me your opinions. I'm leaning toward female but her tail seem a hair large for a female but not as large as I would expect in a young male. My second to largest looks to be an obvious female but again that could change.

I house my largest 3 together, my five middle sized together, and my youngest together.

Here are the pics. Opinions are welcome. Excuse the ant bite on the tail in the comparison shot. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410395942.489217.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410395958.020486.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410395975.166263.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410395993.831683.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410396010.056847.jpg

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Oh and yes her personality is BOLD! No fear at all

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, the female guess is only because of the short tail. My two babcocki females are both much more rounded in the scutes then yours. However, now that I look again at the single pics, I would have to guess both males. The one in the comparative pic, next to the male pic, the tail of yours looks shorter then in the single pics. In the single pics, they both look male.

Last edited:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I honestly don't see any indication of my second to largest being a male. I thought it looked totally female.

Now my largest could totally go either way. I just thought compared to an obvious male of the same size that there was a noticeable difference. The individual pics do make her tail seem rather long but in person it doesn't appear to be.
No mounting or behaviors of any sort have been observed so I guess ill simply wait another year or two or so to know for sure. Gotta love that waiting game

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hate the waiting game:mad: Is either ones plastron seem concaved at all? Really hoping you have one of each. I bet you won't have to wait long to know if they are males. Keep giving warm soaks, that's what worked for my Tatum to show himself:eek:
I don't think you will see any mounting for quite some time. Tatum is 3 1/2 and he couldn't careless there is a female in with him. Even when I put him with both females for the pics I took the other day, he had no interest in either one and he had never seen the one, Lucy that I got from Neal and wasn't even curious of the new babe in town:confused:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
No I don't see any concave at all. And for as much as they poo during their soaks I've never seen anything remotely pink in the cloaca.

But strangely enough on my 3rd to largest pardalis it has some concave and a very male shape (hotdog) although it's tail is not very long . I will get some plastron shots of him (or her) tomorrow if possible ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410403584.614878.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm not sure which one is your second to largest, but the one that you are showing side by side looks all male to me. The base of the tail (closest to the body) is pretty thick and the cloaca is out farther from the body than I would expect to see in a female. It's hard to tell with the tail extended, but the supracaudal scute appears to be folding forward which protects the males tale during mating.

I could really go either way on the second tortoise. Nothing really strikes me as obvious either way, but the anal scutes and tail appear to be more male like to my eyes.