Officially decided to rehome my torts

Jaid10

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi. My name is Jaiden and I own 2 sulcata Tortoises. I am 12 years old and got my first tort, Shelly when I was 5. Long story short I was misinformed on how to care for my tort. For my 11th birthday I received Stone, my second sulcata who is a baby. I was so lucky to stumble upon the forum. I was shocked... my Tortoises who I loved with all my heart were being horribly cared for... by me. You guys helped me through this and I was able to make a lot of improvements. But it wasn’t enough. I live in Utah so it proved to be very difficult keeping them. It turned out to cost a lot of money I didn’t have to fix everything I needed to fix. I tried my very hardest to do what I needed but it just didn’t work. It’s 100 percent my fault and I take full responsibility. I understand how disgusted you probably are of me. I hate my mistake. Anyways... Shelly is a 7 year old female who is way too small at only 10 to 11 inches. stone is a 1 year old I think maybe 3 inch Tortoise. I feel so horrible and my heart is broken but I think I made the right choice. How should I go about this? I need some guidance.

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hi. My name is Jaiden and I own 2 sulcata Tortoises. I am 12 years old and got my first tort, Shelly when I was 5. Long story short I was misinformed on how to care for my tort. For my 11th birthday I received Stone, my second sulcata who is a baby. I was so lucky to stumble upon the forum. I was shocked... my Tortoises who I loved with all my heart were being horribly cared for... by me. You guys helped me through this and I was able to make a lot of improvements. But it wasn’t enough. I live in Utah so it proved to be very difficult keeping them. It turned out to cost a lot of money I didn’t have to fix everything I needed to fix. I tried my very hardest to do what I needed but it just didn’t work. It’s 100 percent my fault and I take full responsibility. I understand how disgusted you probably are of me. I hate my mistake. Anyways... Shelly is a 7 year old female who is way too small at only 10 to 11 inches. stone is a 1 year old I think maybe 3 inch Tortoise. I feel so horrible and my heart is broken but I think I made the right choice. How should I go about this? I need some guidance.
I'm so sorry that you've had such a bad experience, don't blame yourself. You had the wrong information, you couldn't know. I'm sure others will come along to help you re-home your babies. One day, when you're an adult with money of your own you'll be able to start again with all the correct information and I hope that then you'll be able to enjoy keeping these wonderful animals -probably one wonderful tortoise! My very best wishes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't beat yourself up over this, Jaiden. It's not your fault at all. You were given the wrong information, and you have to depend upon your folks for the money to properly care for the animals. I like what Miscally said above. Everything that happens in life is a learning tool. You learn from it and go forward.

If you'd like to post a For Sale thread, be sure to include pictures of the tortoises. There are helpful threads showing you how to package up a tortoise for shipping. We'll all help you with information and 'how to'

Good luck.

Jaid10

USA
thanks so much Yvonne G and Miscally! Sadly my parents won’t allow me to ship them. It’s going to be way harder then I thought to rehome them. I’ll try to convince them otherwise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sometimes the best and most responsible thing to to is to find better homes for our animals.
A few years ago, I did the same thing due to bad health.
It shows that you are wise and responsible beyond your years.
Be proud. Because you are doing the right thing.
Sulcata are very popular tortoises. You shouldn't have any trouble finding them new homes without shipping them.
Be sure that any new prospective owner is ready for the long term commitment by asking LOTS OF QUESTIONS.
Anyone that is serious wont mind it.
Post a new thread saying that you are needing to rehome your Sulcata. Include the city and state. Say that they are local pickup only. And charge a fee. One that you can work out with the new owner.
Saying a tortoise is free will 100% guarantee you'll get contacted by lots of folks only looking to flip and re sell your animal. Or people wanting a free animal on impulse.

Last edited:

Jaid10

USA
Sometimes the best and most responsible thing to to is to find better homes for our animals.
A few years ago, I did the same thing due to bad health.
It shows that you are wise and responsible beyond your years.
Be proud. Because you are doing the right thing.
Sulcata are very popular tortoises. You shouldn't have any trouble finding them new homes without shipping them.
Be sure that any new prospective owner is ready for the long term commitment by asking LOTS OF QUESTIONS.
Anyone that is serious wont mind it.
Post a new thread saying that you are needing to rehome your Sulcata. Include the city and state. Say that they are local pickup only. And charge a fee. One that you can work out with the new owner.
Saying a tortoise is free will 100% guarantee you'll get contacted by lots of folks only looking to flip and re sell your animal. Or people wanting a free animal on impulse.
Ok! Thank you I will do that!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry for the hard decision you had to make. I agree with everyone above. It for sure is not your fault. So many of us started out with the wrong info.
Good luck