Oh hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turr

5 Year Member
So I'm new. My name is Matt and I care for a male Russian named Freddie Mercury. I live in Georgia, on the coast. Freddie is pretty shy, so I'm guessing he hasn't been handled much. He's at least a year old according to the math that I know for a fact, and I suspect he's probably closer to 2 years.

If anyone has advice on getting him to stop spraying me with urine when I pick him up, I'm all ears. =)

His home is really big. I took a bookcase and laid it on its back, lined it with a tarp, put dirt and coconut substrate down, and added his necessary stuff. I'll probably post an updated pic soon, if people care. It's gone through a number of changes since I started, and I don't have a good current pic now.

Anyway, enough rambling. Except to say I really like turtles, and tortoises, and terrapins too.

3.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
LOL, hello and welcome :) you cracked me up with the peeing. The only thing I can think of, is to make sure your not startling him, make sure he knows your there. The other thing, put him into a warm water soak as soon as you have him picked up. The warm water may make him go pee. Oh, and yes we care. About anything you want to show us, we love pics and with anything you may need help with. You have joined a great caring forum.:D

penelopie

5 Year Member
I am new on here, but the pee, i wold agree that he is scared. just like you where advised before and let him crawl around on you. Tank loves movie night I put a movie on and he gets to explore me and the couch. the cats love it too only one who doesn't is my daughter. "what if he poops?" funny thing is she has birds. they poop a LOT.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...pretty cute tort you got...your peeing issue, its is cause from him being scared. How long have you had him?. Do you talk to him before you go pick him up? It's just a normal reaction for them. He will get used to you and will stop. My sulcata pees or even poops when she is mad at me for giving her a scrub in her soak...:tort:

Turr

5 Year Member
Hey everyone! Thanks for the welcome. I talk to Freddie constantly trying to get him used to me, and I pet his shell before I pick him up. I make sure his entire lower body is on something solid, like a towel, so he doesn't freak out. He still unleashes on me. He'll often drop his urates and poop too, if I keep holding him. I'm guessing it will just take time. I've only been taking care of him for 1 1/2 months now, so it's not too big of a surprise that he's still like this. I think I might be impatient. :)

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome Matt :) Could you please post a picture of Freddie's underside his tail looks short for a male in the picture :)

Status
Not open for further replies.