Ohio CL Ad by a 16-year old for a African Spur Thigh...Not sure if that's right tho?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

Yeah that's a Sulcata. But I'm skeptical about the cancer thing. Sounds like a scam to me. What possible kind of disease could he get from a tort and the pictures don't look like the same animal to me. One is pyramided and one is not and I would think that a tort fed that diet and lives in a kids bedroom has got to have MBD or something. If I am not quite politically correct in saying it's maybe a scam please forgive me. But it just doesn't add up and the pictures are not right. The tort is a foot long and lives in a bedroom? Alright I'm done everybody's gonna jump on me for picking on a kid with cancer...:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
it's a sulc, they often are sold in pet stores as african spur thigh so people won't know they are buying a sulc.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Is it just me? Or do all four pictures look like they're of different animals?

BTW, even the great Richard Fife was calling these spur thighs a decade ago...:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with Maggie that the pictures are not all of the same tortoise. And Brandon says you can keep it in a tank???? And that he'll be happy to give you care instructions?????

Hopefully someone with a little sense and knowledge will buy him. Price isn't bad. And to give the kid credit, maybe he pulled sulcata pictures off the web just so he could show what a sulcata looks like.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Sorry Maggie! Didn't see your reference to the photos before I replied!:p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they do look like different animals

If and that is a big IF, he just had a bone marrow transplant, the doctor may be worried about salmelnelma, I know I spelled it wrong.

latshki

5 Year Member
RE: Ohio CL Ad by a 16-year old for a African Spur Thigh...Not sure if that's right t

the doctor likely isn't a reptile enthusiast so i would not be surprised that he would recommend getting rid of it
also it seems quite right for a 16 year olds writing, remember hes a teenager lol

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I sent him an email, so we'll see what happens. I don't NEED another sulcata, but need is such a funny word when it comes to tortoises... and columbus isn't that far away.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
I believe it. It's probably true about the doctor saying to get rid of it too, I'm sure the kid is on some type of immunosuppressive drugs so anything with "germs" would be a risk and like dmmj said, salmonella especially. I think the pictures are just of sulcatas in general and not his, he said he can't go home yet so maybe he didn't have access to pictures of his tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.