OK, give me the reality check

K8E K

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
N. CA
Alll right. This is a ramble/question/request for a reality check.

I generally keep up with a few animal rescues close to me, mostly because I volunteer when I can and also just really like "animal people" and my day job is suuuper different. With the pandemic of course it's a little bonkers- people in really tight spots so an uptick in animals being surrendered. A noticeably large number of large sulcatas, currently.

I love sulcatas, but they've never been in my official plans. Mainly because I have a size-able backyard (not certain on the square feet, maybe 1500 or so? dedicated to one small and one eventually large tortoise, no not housed together) but I'm still urban, and the largest area/grazing (back) is claimed for the large leopard (in the future, currently doesn't need that space, and the russian is currently housed there). I have a smallish front grazing area, what I'd basically just call a pen, that's about 20'x22' square plus an additional side area of probably 4'x15'ish side yard that's shaded...I'd say 500 sqft in all, trying to be conservative.

Long story short- a lovely large sulcata guy was offered to me (upwards of 100lbs), there's something like 5 in the rescue now and we're going on our 5th month of shelter in place orders here, so I'd wager it'll be a bit of a struggle for all the rescues that take large tortoises for a while. I'm not in the habit of taking on any animal I don't think I have an ideal situation for in general, but I think wishful thinking has me a bit caught up here.

Yes, I haunt the sulcata area of the forum because I like reading about them, and yes, I have an "extra" oil heater and kane mat just lying around (funny how that works), and yes I have access to plenty of supplementary food year round. Yes, I feel like 500sq ft for a 100lb sulcata is small. Yes, I'm suspicious I'm using the "they need *somewhere*" excuse to give myself permission to entertain the idea. Yes I have already assessed the materials I have on hand to make Tom's nightbox. (and yes, there is that dammed vacant lot next door to me that I'd looove to appropriate and make this all very easy but I'm not counting on that ever being put up for sale).

So, you all like tortoises at least as much as I do. I trust you to understand how much I'd very easily pick him up tomorrow as much as I'm also trying to be as responsible as possible. Help me stop thinking about it one way or the other!

starprince

New York, New York
Alll right. This is a ramble/question/request for a reality check.

I generally keep up with a few animal rescues close to me, mostly because I volunteer when I can and also just really like "animal people" and my day job is suuuper different. With the pandemic of course it's a little bonkers- people in really tight spots so an uptick in animals being surrendered. A noticeably large number of large sulcatas, currently.

I love sulcatas, but they've never been in my official plans. Mainly because I have a size-able backyard (not certain on the square feet, maybe 1500 or so? dedicated to one small and one eventually large tortoise, no not housed together) but I'm still urban, and the largest area/grazing (back) is claimed for the large leopard (in the future, currently doesn't need that space, and the russian is currently housed there). I have a smallish front grazing area, what I'd basically just call a pen, that's about 20'x22' square plus an additional side area of probably 4'x15'ish side yard that's shaded...I'd say 500 sqft in all, trying to be conservative.

Long story short- a lovely large sulcata guy was offered to me (upwards of 100lbs), there's something like 5 in the rescue now and we're going on our 5th month of shelter in place orders here, so I'd wager it'll be a bit of a struggle for all the rescues that take large tortoises for a while. I'm not in the habit of taking on any animal I don't think I have an ideal situation for in general, but I think wishful thinking has me a bit caught up here.

Yes, I haunt the sulcata area of the forum because I like reading about them, and yes, I have an "extra" oil heater and kane mat just lying around (funny how that works), and yes I have access to plenty of supplementary food year round. Yes, I feel like 500sq ft for a 100lb sulcata is small. Yes, I'm suspicious I'm using the "they need *somewhere*" excuse to give myself permission to entertain the idea. Yes I have already assessed the materials I have on hand to make Tom's nightbox. (and yes, there is that dammed vacant lot next door to me that I'd looove to appropriate and make this all very easy but I'm not counting on that ever being put up for sale).

So, you all like tortoises at least as much as I do. I trust you to understand how much I'd very easily pick him up tomorrow as much as I'm also trying to be as responsible as possible. Help me stop thinking about it one way or the other!
Hello,
I am new here so forgive me if my answer is off. You already planned everyhing that you needed and a Sulcata was not in your plans. Instead of adopting any of them
Is it possible for you to foster one as they look for a new home for them?

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
Hello,
I am new here so forgive me if my answer is off. You already planned everyhing that you needed and a Sulcata was not in your plans. Instead of adopting any of them
Is it possible for you to foster one as they look for a new home for them?
Hah, yes, I would be happy to foster, you're spot on- these orgs don't foster (which I suppose makes a bit of sense- might be hard to double check on correct care)? I didn't plan for a sulcata necessarily, but I have others that have similar care and always have extra stuff on hand just in case something fails and I need a quick switch. I guess I'm just really not sure if I'm overthinking or just being reasonable!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for entertaining my ramble- felt better just writing it all out, if nothing else!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcatas are awesome. Their personalities and their appearance are fantastic. But they are just not the right species for most people. They just get too big, eat too much, get too destructive, dig too many holes, and need way too much heat and space.

I get why people like them, but without enough space, or in the wrong climate, they just aren't practical. I use 30x30 pens for 12 inchers. I think minimum size pen for a 100+ pounder should be at least 50x50', which would be 2500 sq. ft. Bigger would be better, but this would give them enough room to walk around and get their needed exercise.

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
Sulcatas are awesome. Their personalities and their appearance are fantastic. But they are just not the right species for most people. They just get too big, eat too much, get too destructive, dig too many holes, and need way too much heat and space.

I get why people like them, but without enough space, or in the wrong climate, they just aren't practical. I use 30x30 pens for 12 inchers. I think minimum size pen for a 100+ pounder should be at least 50x50', which would be 2500 sq. ft. Bigger would be better, but this would give them enough room to walk around and get their needed exercise.
Appreciate this. SIP is messing with me- usually I like to think I'm more rational ?I'll keep on appreciating sulcatas from afar and keep on enjoying the other species I have ?