Ok i am really worried now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I have just read a thread about someone worrying about there torts weight the tort is 9 month old and 7.5cm lomg and weight was about 88g. My Hermann Tort Shelby is 2 yrs old and measures 8.3cm and weight is about 102g this is not much bigger that the other tort. I now they are different breeds and Hermanns are a small tort's but is this a good size for a 2 year old or is she too small? She gets a good diet and eats well, but if she is too small i will start and add some veg to help with her growth rate. I am proberly worrying about nothing i have only had her 6 months and she was only 40g and length was around 5cm when she first arrived so she is growing and i know slow and steady is better for them but I thought i would double check as i can not fnd any info on want a healthy size and weight for her is :(

Ok i am not worrying as much now i just checked on the Jackson ratio and that is saying she is slightly over weight if anything but i and not worried about that as she is not showing any signs of fat. I am going to have to learn how to chillout abit I love her so much and it does not take much for me to worry about her lol.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
LOL. I don't like charts. I just think if they are healthy and growing than thats all I care about.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You really can't compare tortoise X vs. tortoise Y at the same age as far as growth--each tort grows at a different rate. As long as the tort is a healthy weight for the shell length (the growth charts give you an idea, but for growing torts, I wouldn't worry if the chart shows them as "overweight"--my tort is too), and growing at a nice healthy rate (you don't want to see a month go by with no growth and then tons the next, for example) no worries. I weighed and measured my tort weekly until age 2, and now I do that monthly. In short, don't worry. Just feed a good varied diet, track growth, and for such a young tort, I believe in letting them eat as much as they want. If anything, the average captive tort grows way too fast and as an adult tends to be overweight (high calorie diet and lack of exercise). The more you can prove that wrong, the better.

Orpexo

5 Year Member
Was it a hermann you read about, being 9 month old and 7.5cm lomg and weight 88g? If it was another tort you cannot compare, I guess a sulcata will grow a lot faster than an hermann

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Orpexo said:
Was it a hermann you read about, being 9 month old and 7.5cm lomg and weight 88g? If it was another tort you cannot compare, I guess a sulcata will grow a lot faster than an hermann

No it was a Greek which i think ends up about the same size. I have chilled now lol, I do not worry about my other pets weight i just feed them and only worry if they are ill, but i have had these type of pets before and this is my first tort. Thanks for the advice everyone I am going to have to take a chill pill lol :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.