Okay people I need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I am choosing between a young Leopard Tortoise and a young Hermann's Tortoise.

I've only ever had Russians.

So what I need to know is how is their care similar to Russians, and how is it different? What temps do they each need to be at, what foods do they eat, how are they temperment wise. One thing I LOVE about my Russians is they are very personable and like my attention. Generally are Leopards and Hermann's the same or would they rather be left alone??

Also how big of an enclosure does a full grown Leopard need? How long does it take to get full grown?

Thanks for your input! I've been wanting BOTH types of torts, so this is a really hard choice!!!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
cvalda said:
I am choosing between a young Leopard Tortoise and a young Hermann's Tortoise.

I've only ever had Russians.

So what I need to know is how is their care similar to Russians, and how is it different? What temps do they each need to be at, what foods do they eat, how are they temperment wise. One thing I LOVE about my Russians is they are very personable and like my attention. Generally are Leopards and Hermann's the same or would they rather be left alone??

Also how big of an enclosure does a full grown Leopard need? How long does it take to get full grown?

Thanks for your input! I've been wanting BOTH types of torts, so this is a really hard choice!!!

Hermanns are going to be closer in care to your RTs than the Leopard will. Leopards are going to need a more high fiber grass/hay diet with just a few greens here and there.

Leopards tend to be more shy than the Hermanns. My Hermanns all come over when I come to the enclosure to see what Im doing.

Leopards will reach adult size in less than 10 years most likely. (35-50lbs is average for G. pardalis babcocki which are the most common in th pet trade.) The larger G. pardalis pardalis can weight upwards of 70lbs or so and usually have a higher price tag than babcocki. And adult Leopard will need an outdoor space of about 10x30 or at least 20x20 I would think. Indoors for winter I would say a 3x8 would be ok for an adult.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
...of course on the other hand Leopards have some beautiful shells....:rolleyes:

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Its up to you, if you think you cann care for a leo get it.
but if you dont, then get a hermanns.

If your wanting a small species, like Russians, and ease of care..then i vote hermanns.

Jacqui is right, leo's have BEAUTIFUL shells...but hard to care for.

B

Bansh88

Leopards and Sulcatas have very similar needs. But, like Sulcatas, they get very big. If you're not able to provide and outdoor area, I'd go with a smaller tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.