Okay To Breed Different Russian Tortoise Subspecies?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
Hello all. I've heard some conflicting info on this subject. So I have had a hunch that my younger Russian is a rustmovi (spelling lol?) I bought her so that she would be a breeder female, but started realizing later that she had the rustmovi qualities (notice how the widest part of her shell is in the middle, while the other subspecies have the flare at the end) while my others had the kazakistani qualities. Here is a pic of her.

IMG_1400.JPG

So, does it matter if I interbreed the subspecies? Should I sell her and try to find a female of the same subspecies? I hope not, it's a hassle finding a nice female, and this one has a great appetite and a nice shell.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
This is my other female. Not the best pic, but you can see the widest part is at the flare. Don't mind her walking in her mountain of greens lol.
IMG_2234.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really doubt anyone is paying attention to that, which is a shame. Years ago I had our member, EgyptianDan, I.D. my Russian sub species and I adopted out all of them except for the kazachstanica ones. I think russians are more interbred than any other tortoise.

Last edited:

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Interesting discussion... do you have a reference link for ID-ing my Russians?

I'd love to know what sub-species Chili and Persephone represent, or even what blended characteristics they exhibit.

Thanks,

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I'd love to know what sub-species Chili and Persephone represent, or even what blended characteristics they exhibit.

Thanks,

Jamie

Crush da Baum

Brooksville

Thanks,

Jamie
Same. I never knew there were subspecies for Russians.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The differences are so subtle that even with egyptiandan's excellent pictures, I can't see the differences.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

Thanks so much, Yvonne!

Even if I can't tell for my two, I'll still have fun guessing.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Based on the pics and the descriptions on the page you linked me to I'd guess that:

Chili is T.h.rustamovi (domed, but long and narrow)
IMG_20200406_125153.jpg

and that Persephone is T.h.kazachstanica (flat and almost as wide as long)
IMG_20200406_104308.jpg

Jamie

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Just guessing... also, the top-down photos don't really give you the feel of their domed/undomed natures.

Chili is built like a VW-bug, to Persephone's triple-stuff oreo.

J
Nice. Has persephone given you eggs yet?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
? Even the tortoise is in quarantine. Do you think Chili wants to mate with her?

As soon as Persephone came into our house, Chili started acting differently. A couple of times, I've found the two of them facing each other and as close as their separate enclosures will allow, despite not being able to see each other... I'm certain they can smell another member of their species, even with three other species of tortoises also sharing my office.

J

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
As soon as Persephone came into our house, Chili started acting differently. A couple of times, I've found the two of them facing each other and as close as their separate enclosures will allow, despite not being able to see each other... I'm certain they can smell another member of their species, even with three other species of tortoises also sharing my office.

J
Wow that is fascinating.. I bet they have such good sense of smell and recognition of another of their species because in the wild, it is much harder to find another. Also, I would be so anxious to have them meet lol.