Old Boa vivarium & heater suitable for little tort?

Merner

Location (City and/or State)
UK
I just bought a large new vivarium for my little hermann's, she is only a little over 1 year old and about 4 inches. The vivarium is 5 feet long and 2 feet high and wide.
The vivarium was 2nd hand, I found it online from someone who kept a Boa constrictor. It has a UV strip already fitted and it has a 20cm x 30cm habistat radiator panel fitted to the ceiling.

Will this heat panel be suitable for the little one to bask?

Pictures attached (I have only placed my tort in the picture for scale, she is living in another viv until this one is ready)

Attachments

• heat-unit.jpg
    heat-unit.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
  • vivarium.jpg
    vivarium.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This should make an excellent enclosure for the next year or two (depending on growth rate…)!

The heat panel should be able to maintain a good ambient temp if you run it on a thermostat, but it won't be suitable for basking. You will still need to add a basking lamp set on a timer. Use your thermometer to check all your temps and make adjustments as needed.

Those beech chips will not be a good substrate. I prefer coco coir for babies and fine grade orchid bark for older ones. Don't let a pet shop talk you into that Pets At Home Bedding with the limestone chips in it. That's dangerous.

Merner

UK
Fantastic, thank you Tom for the info and fast reply. I can't wait to get it all set up and move her in.
I will get a lamp fitted and yes I was looking at substrate on the forum the other day and was going to go with orchid bark but if coco coir is better for babies i'll order some of that, i'm going to need a ton :)

thanks again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fantastic, thank you Tom for the info and fast reply. I can't wait to get it all set up and move her in.
I will get a lamp fitted and yes I was looking at substrate on the forum the other day and was going to go with orchid bark but if coco coir is better for babies i'll order some of that, i'm going to need a ton :)

thanks again!
Either of those substrate will work, but I like coco coir better for babies because they can burrow into it easier.

Be sure to keep either substrate lightly dampened. Not wet, but damp to keep humidity up and dust down.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
That looks like it may be constructed from melamine covered particle board? If so it will only last a year or two. Moisture, if it gets into the underlying particle board, will make the particle board expand and 're-shape' wherever it gets that moisture. I don't have a fix.

Ed mitch

That looks like it may be constructed from melamine covered particle board? If so it will only last a year or two. Moisture, if it gets into the underlying particle board, will make the particle board expand and 're-shape' wherever it gets that moisture. I don't have a fix.
For mine, I just put some on old pond liner on the bottom?