Old user returning with new user name & tortie problem. split beak!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Buffalo, NY
Hi everyone!

I have been absent from tortoiseforum.org for a few years-- and I apologize. Many of you may have known me as the user name "BuddysParents" and you're probably wondering why I did not simply log in under that name. Long story short, I had to create a new account thanks to a certain ex who deleted my whole entire email account, which would also contain old passwords/accounts/etc. Now that you know a chunk of what's been going on in my crazy personal life (haha/jk), I need help.

After Buddy's (sulcata) passing, I obtained a hatchling Hermans Tortoise. I believe I talked about her on here a bit, too. I named her Tilly and she was great. However, about an hour ago, upon feeding her, I noticed she wasn't acting like herself. I took her out of her home, held her closely to my eyes and noticed there's a slit up the one side of her face- almost like a papercut and her beak is unable to open.

Instantly, I started crying-- I gave her a cool bath, hoping that would get her to open her mouth, but I didn't want to overdo it with the water. Shortly after, my mom came over and was able to pry her beak open with her long fingernails and treated her to a small piece of strawberry (she refused the usual romaine). She pooped several times in her bath (as usual), but I am extremely worried about her mouth. Does anyone have any advice?

I live in the WNY area (Buffalo, NY to be specific), if that helps. Tilly is now a little over three years old and other than this, she's been great.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
-Danielle

RussTort

10 Year Member!
Old user returning with new user name & tortie problem. Please help!!

I have no idea but a photo will probably help the more experienced users in helping you.

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
RE: Old user returning with new user name & tortie problem. Please help!!

Okay, I will post a photo in a few minutes.

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY

RussTort said:
I have no idea but a photo will probably help the more experienced users in helping you.

This isn't the best photo, she wouldn't sit still-- I tried over 20 times and this was the best I could come up with. You can see the slit looks like her skin was cut into and there appears to be a severe over/underbite with her actual beak.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Re: Old user returning with new user name & tortie problem. Please help!!

So sorry to hear that. :(

To start, keep it clean. Wash daily with clean water and apply neosporine (careful not to get it in her eye) to prevent infection.

Take her to a vet to rule out infection and/or get antibiotics if needed.

She may need to be on a liquid diet until it heals if she's having trouble feeding herself.

Please keep us posted on her progress.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TortForum mobile app

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY

J6r2A8HrBpt
Tilly.jpghttp://www.picmonkey.com/p/J6r2A8HrBpt

maybe that will work. I don't know how else to get a pic of her face on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Danielle:

It doesn't do any good to re-post over and over again. New members have their first five posts moderated...that is, you have to wait until a moderator sees and approves it before it shows up.

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY

I had to use picmonkey to post a pic, since the attachment option was not working.

Yvonne G said:
Danielle:

It doesn't do any good to re-post over and over again. New members have their first five posts moderated...that is, you have to wait until a moderator sees and approves it before it shows up.

Sorry-- I wasn't trying to start any trouble. I also don't remember it being this way three years ago. I am just worried for her, is all. Thank you for letting me know though. I thought my computer was on the fritz.

zman7590

5 Year Member

bring to the vet

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY

Any other things I can try before bringing her to the vet? There's only one hermatological vet in my area and its a $100 office visit alone. I love both my tortoises but as I'm struggling with money right now, I was hoping for someone who's been through similar stuff who can give me advice other than telling me to go to a vet. I just want to sit and cry. She's in pain and terrified.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member

Looks like her beak split. I can't tell if it was overgrown before the split happened or not. Some torts are prone to it & sometimes we contribute to the problem with our husbandry.

An experienced vet can Dremel the beak to get it smoothed out & shortened. I wouldn't want to try it myself. The battery operated one is easier to manage, but if you don't already have one, you're probably better off with the vet - but it needs to be one with experience. Vet might want to cut it, and I don't know if that's alright.

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY

Thanks Johnsonn and Echo.

I will keep you posted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

No worries, Danielle. No trouble started. I've asked Josh to incorporate your old threads/posts into this new account.

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY

Thanks Yvonne, I appreciate that too.

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY

I've been hand feeding Tilly with a medicine syringe of Gerber baby food. She's been opening her mouth wide and letting me guide the food into her mouth with the syringe. She is doing well eating soft things on her own like baby tomatoes and strawberries. Still can't crunch on the romaine.

Here is a pic from a few minutes ago of her munching on a baby tomato. You can see the slit in the side of her face more clearly. ImageUploadedByTortForum1373042478.739534.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Vickie

5 Year Member

I know how it is to have money beyond tight but you might want to call your vet and see if there is any possibility of a payment plan. I would think on issue with her opening her mouth or eating is that it most likely hurts like you cannot imagine. Opening you own mouth with something like that I am sure would even pull on that spot more causing the pain as well as keeping it from healing well by pulling it back open.

I really hope she improves quickly. She looks so sweet and would hate to see her in pain. Prayers sent you way.

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY

Vickie said:
I know how it is to have money beyond tight but you might want to call your vet and see if there is any possibility of a payment plan. I would think on issue with her opening her mouth or eating is that it most likely hurts like you cannot imagine. Opening you own mouth with something like that I am sure would even pull on that spot more causing the pain as well as keeping it from healing well by pulling it back open.

I really hope she improves quickly. She looks so sweet and would hate to see her in pain. Prayers sent you way.

I will call the vet Monday morning-- There's only one in my area that even looks at torts. I am not forcing her mouth with the medicine syringe, she opens her mouth and lets me feed her that way, since eating romaine on her own is too difficult. I think the one guy is right, that it may need to be filed down or something to avoid it from cracking up to her eye. She sees the tip of the syringe with the berry and carrot baby food oozing out and she's opens and says "Ahhh". Either way, yes, I am going to call the vet Monday.

Thanks for all concern and prayers, will continue to keep you all updated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.