old waterbeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Central WI
Most of those that know me, know I like a bargan and I'm a bit frugle.
Which got me to thinking about old waterbeds. I see them on Craigslist.com all the time.
I just got a king size waterbed and Im going to make it into a indoor enclosure. I understand most people dont have the room for a king but they come in the single size as well. Singles are hard to come by but they are out there.
When I get it all set up I'll get pics up, but I wanted to share it so others can be eye balling CL.
I should also say I'll have to seal it. Im not sure if Ill use those sticker type tiles (I call em lick en stick tiles lol), vinel flooring or what but I'll figure it out.
:p

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Good idea! I converted a twin-sized "Captain's Bed" into an enclosure for my two torties! They LOVE the space! Of course once the new trio come, I think the trio needs to be in that enclosure, and my duo needs to be in the new turtle table (that the trio comes in).... because the turtle table is 12 square feet, and the Bed is 18 square feet... the trio, which are all much BIGGER than the duo, need more room. My son isn't sold on the idea but I'm working on him!

Can't wait to see pics of yours when it's done!

;~) Kelly

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Thats a great idea Tracy, if I can find one it would be something I could put the Sulcata in for winter down in the basement or even divide it off with the Sulcata having the most room and maybe the lone male Hermann's having a part of it depending on the size of the bed. I will have to keep a better eye out on CL and if you happen to see something in our area please let me know! lol

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
he's right... 2"x8"s are pretty expensive. plus recycling old stuff people will otherwise dump is environmentally friendly! way to go green!

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Yep I'm green alright....hehe green with envy over those hatchlings you got , Josh:p

I never thought about it saving the land fill , but your right....:cool:

B

Bansh88

Iluvemturts said:
Not when the whole thing cost 30$ Hubby said the wood alone would be like 75$ or more.

$30 is a good deal. True, lumber costs a lot. I snake mine from work.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
look for old palettes laying out in the back of buildings, and you can nail them or glue how you like. so it wont cost much at all, and help recycle used wood. and that wood is really strong, palettes hold a lot of weight for long periods of time.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Great idea!

I too like finding usuable things others are tossing away. Years ago, I found an old hot tub up at our dump. My husband at the time thought I was crazy, but other then buying a little tube of aquarium sealant and a bathtub plug or two, it was free. Of course he and my son didn't enjoy digging the hole for it.:rolleyes:. Has lasted years and allows the turtles to dive deep. I doubt it even freezes all the way down in the winter.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Jacqui said:
Great idea!

I too like finding usuable things others are tossing away. Years ago, I found an old hot tub up at our dump. My husband at the time thought I was crazy, but other then buying a little tube of aquarium sealant and a bathtub plug or two, it was free. Of course he and my son didn't enjoy digging the hole for it.:rolleyes:. Has lasted years and allows the turtles to dive deep. I doubt it even freezes all the way down in the winter.

where do you live to get that cold?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I live in Nebraska. Not sure how deep the freezing actually goes down. I have six turtles (two RES females and the other four are paints). [Just want to add that this is the only pool or enclosure where I keep more then one type of animal. As a rule, I want everything in with only it's own kind or alone.] I allow them to winter outside naturally and I know some choose the bottom of the tub, while others go to the ground surrounding it. I also keep fish in it year round. The first few years I tried to keep it thawed with a horse tank heater. A couple of years later, the heater went out during a very cold snap and the pool froze. When the spring thaws came, all the turtles and fish were still alive, so since then I let it go natural.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
yea i bet the turtles hiberated and shut down their bodily organs, just like desert tortoises do. do you have any pics of your setup?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Unfortunately, not currently. I am allergic to cameras. ;) I know I do need to break down and get some shots taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.