Oliver the rescue Sulcata...50 pounds of drug bust contraban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
sissyofone said:
Turbo will be inside for quite awhile im sure we have lots to prepare for with him being outside at all. The shed is 8x10 insulated but we gotta have wiring checked for safety reasons. In the meantime im studying your setup with Oliver. :D and borrowing your
:idea: s. :p

I'd strongly recommend keeping him in with you. Oliver is in his Rubbermaid 90% of them time, then occasionally comes out to bask, eat, explore, then back in warm house.
He's pretty sedentary. But he does peek out of towel to watch me, and see if I'm bringing him food. I can bribe him pretty easily with cactus or collard.

Ken said he got this Stanfield mat on eBay for really cheap. I started out with no rheostat, so you can adjust for a few day. I turned it off while I was at work until the rheostat came. He seems no worse for the wear.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Yeah he more than likly will be in for the winter just gotta get him set up better. Starting in am. Im gonna make it happen somehow. He totally deserves it..Hes awesome. Thanks Sandy..

And im gonna get a mat asap.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Ok. So for info purposes only, I'd suggest he's too cold in the house roaming free based on him coming out after heating up then returning shortly after exploration. Can you move the dinning table, for instance, over his hide and hang light from under it to maybe enlarge the warm zone for him?
Just thinking out loud here, under the influence of 13+ hours of college football!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Cowboy_Ken said:
Ok. So for info purposes only, I'd suggest he's too cold in the house roaming free based on him coming out after heating up then returning shortly after exploration. Can you move the dinning table, for instance, over his hide and hang light from under it to maybe enlarge the warm zone for him?
Just thinking out loud here, under the influence of 13+ hours of college football!

Thank Ken....yah, I can try that. My house temp (floor area checked with digital) is 75°.
Do you think he's too cold? Or am I off base thinking that he has a lack of muscling/endurance because of his "drug house" tiny cold sand box? When he is outside grazing, he's slow, carefully places feet, he's not a strong beast of a tort like IRR's huge Sulcata are when I observed them in a grassy area. Maybe both?

Nothing anyone comments, as long as it's polite and constructive, will be taken negatively from me. I'm open minded, ready to learn, and even thought I've been a vet tech for over 20 years, I still have a ton to learn about reptiles, particularly tortoises, since they are my passion.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
That seems to be an ok temp for the floor. My big guys walk outside when the ground temp can't be close to that warm. They'll stretch out and bask as the sun warms things up, but you know what the mornings have been lately. I wouldn't want to walk bare footed out in the grass, yet they do.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Cowboy_Ken said:
That seems to be an ok temp for the floor. My big guys walk outside when the ground temp can't be close to that warm. They'll stretch out and bask as the sun warms things up, but you know what the mornings have been lately. I wouldn't want to walk bare footed out in the grass, yet they do.

That was exactly my thinking. He has two places to rest and warm up. I did have the PowerSun next to his hide, but I moved it across room to force him to get up and exercise. I'm worried he needs to build muscle mass....not a ton, just tone it up a bit from his horrid prior conditions. He just doesn't seem as strong as those others I met. And little Mo....that guy can haul a$$!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The way muscle mass will be built is to exercise him only after he has consumed enough vitamins, minerals, and calcium from foods and supplements and plenty of sun or uvrays. Then, he'll have enough energy for exercise to build muscle. If you try to exercise an animal whose lacking in energy, well, exercise must ain't gonna happen or it isn't gonna produce the muscle you want. Btw, you all are doing a great job with your sullies.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Ken and Sibi....

ImageUploadedByTortForum1382296099.854516.jpg

I moved his PowerSun back to near his hide. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
He has a rough stone to eat off of (for self beak trimming....I don't wanna do it!!!!)

Do you approve? [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GROWING HEART]

ImageUploadedByTortForum1382297214.536054.jpg

Oliver approves [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Aw...he looks so cute and happy. Yeah, you're doing good with him. He's become the king of your castle :) lol
SenjiSandy said:
Ken and Sibi....

I moved his PowerSun back to near his hide. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
He has a rough stone to eat off of (for self beak trimming....I don't wanna do it!!!!)

Do you approve? [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GROWING HEART]

Oliver approves [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
biochemnerd808 said:
Congrats! He looks great. :)

He's no Crusty, but he's definitely learning to follow me and likes petting. I got my big guy!! You were right, just wait, they come. I have people interested in big ones as well, so ME and I can get them placed as the need comes.

I have two more people that want the RF. I need some time to decide. But I am definitely all about the Sulcata!!!!!!!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
You know those quilted, washable bed pads for incontinent humans?
Handy with an indoor Sulcata.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1382500810.718875.jpg

This was tucked under part of his Rubbermaid hide. It's the second time in 4 days he's urinated on this mat. Very handy to absorb all the nasties...then I remove, shake outside, and launder. I have five of them. They make fantastic hotel dog pads for those pesky 5th floor hotel rooms and 3 young dogs at 5am for shows. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Gotta say, a moment of brilliance paid off when I decided to use this in Oliver's area.

Can't wait until summer!!!!!!!!! Indoor giant Sulcata is a challenge

Last edited by a moderator:

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
TigsMom said:
Sandy; Oliver tells me he would like a thick Rubber Welcome Mat in front of his hide. It will warm up some from that light and be really easy for clean ups too. Walmart has a ton to select from: here's one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Clean-Scrape-Deluxe-Wipe-Your-Paws-Doormat/21908113

Hahaha

He's telling you lies! I initially has one in there, and he kicked it out and ripped it up each time. Once I removed it and piled more hay inside, he stopped fussing. They are so picky, right?

He seems pretty content with a few pikes of hay tosses in, so he can dig around, munch, then sleep. Sometimes he peeks out from under blanket and watches me.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Oliver is such a sweet boy [HEAVY BLACK HEART]️[TURTLE]

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
New "Oliver-ism"....

In addition to all the hay, I feed I'm his greens or other treats on a rough, flat stone for beak filing. Well, he is now bumping, poking or staring at it when he wants more....I swear...like a dang dog!!!! He looks at stone, then me, then stone. "Seriously, dude?? Ok, ok, I get you more kale. Geeeeeeeeeeze"

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Sulcata_Sandy said:
New "Oliver-ism"....

In addition to all the hay, I feed I'm his greens or other treats on a rough, flat stone for beak filing. Well, he is now bumping, poking or staring at it when he wants more....I swear...like a dang dog!!!! He looks at stone, then me, then stone. "Seriously, dude?? Ok, ok, I get you more kale. Geeeeeeeeeeze"

I think he's training you

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
I love this thread!!

Oliver and his 'isms are my zen on a bad day.

Glad to see he's being a consistent trainer and with the eye contact and seeking you out, the positive reinforcement is an excellent training tool ;). Honey gets the bee

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Sulcata_Sandy said:
Oh totally. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Use me and a use me

[FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS FOOD][TURTLE] love it

Status
Not open for further replies.