Not open for further replies.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
tffnytorts said:
That's good :)
Spot Bot pet (by dyson?) is very good. Coming from a person who had a small dog

I have a spot bot...from day one when they first came out! Yes, I was one of those...saw the commercial, broke land speed records to get to the store to buy one.

Someone donated to me a brand new Hover carpet shampooer. The house I'm in is old, the carpet was nasty when I moved it. They offered to replace the carpet....me with my dogs...uh....no thanks. Doggies running in and out of muddy Oregon backyard most of the year...and this girl is kinda a clutz....let's leave it be. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][TURTLE][PURPLE HEART]

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Lol that does not sound like a fun clean up job! And NOT what you want to come home from lunch to! Glad you can laugh about it!!

BTW, I have a Lola dog too! :)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
It actually want too bad. I had the carpet picked up and shampooed clean (it was due anyway) in less than 10 minutes.

I put a few cinder blocks along the table. I'm trying to figure out a clever "Ikea" cinderblock effect. Hahaha. Gotta make it look nice, right? [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Really, the only true casualty is my lettuce garden.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sandy, Oliver is watching the Sopranos? Omg, how cute is that! I saved the pic. Everytime I watch that pic, I chuckle!
Sulcata_Sandy said:
Nope. Temp probe is on top. That's my surge protector. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I've got a fogger like yours coming from eBay Tuesday. That's my next install project. I dipped into my grocery fund. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Oliver is a Sopranos fan

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
sibi said:
Sandy, Oliver is watching the Sopranos? Omg, how cute is that! I saved the pic. Everytime I watch that pic, I chuckle!

OMG sibi, he sat there thru two episodes and watched the screen. It was incredibly sweet.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Would you all get off Sandy's case about having Oliver in the house! I, for one, see her act as one of compassion. She rescued Oliver from a bad situation, and had to make a decision, "Do I rescue Oliver and let him live in the house until I can move him into a more suitable enclosure, OR, do I just do nothing about rescuing him from a very bad situation because I'd have to temporarily let him live inside the house?" I mean, Sandy has already made clear that soon she'll be in a situation to give Oliver a suitable enclosure. I wish people would stop criticizing her for her choices. I suggested to her to keep Oliver inside rather than to have him outside with less than adequate heat. I cannot see this poor animal suffer anymore. Now, he's happy and warm! What's the big deal? In a few months, she'll have Oliver in an outdoor enclosure with everything he needs.

Now, about the dogs, even I recall her saying that she never, never leaves the dog with the torts alone. She keeps an eye on all her animals at all times. I have a dog, and before I built the outdoor enclosure, I would let my torts roam around the house always keeping an eye on them constantly! Why can't we just trust that she's responsible enough to do what she needs to do?

wellington said:
You have your dogs and torts in the same area? Besides that being a big no, no, are you sure the tort did it and not the dogs:D. As much as it might be fun to have him in the house, love how he looks in the pics, watching tv. Oliver, you do know right, should really be kept outside. I know you can't now, but if/when you move. A tort rescue does need to provide what the tort needs, as hard as it might be for you, not having him in the house, it's what best for him. Besides tiled floors would not be good for him to walk on, slippery, not giving proper traction. As for trashing your house, it was inevitable, but you should have taken pics so you could compare the damage now, to the damage he does next time:p :D

If you haven't seen it. One of Toms
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45850.html

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Awwwww, sibi..thank you for being Oliver's advocate. [PURPLE HEART]

Wellington only has good intention, and is looking out for his best interests. Not, I do not leave my dogs and my torts unattended...however I do not in a million years believe either of my dogs would bother Oliver. A hatchling, yes, squirmy tiny thing to bat around. If tortoises moved a lot faster, yah. Heck. These dogs are worthless for balls and chew toys. It better be moving fast or it's boring. LOL
Basenjis are not like labs or terriers...they are more like, a cat. I practice what I preach, so my dogs are crated... or in a bedroom. Lola is my older, lazy girl. She's been a loose house dog her whole life, always gentle, easy, a dream. She over did it with some people food I mistakenly spoiled her with, and had some loose stools and was a bit lethargic. So I let her sleep on the couch and headed to work. That was a rare occurrence. Usually they go to work with me, but I have a rental car now.

And no, keeping dogs with torts is not a "no no", it's a choice, and sadly people who have dogs (who probably shouldn't) clearly don't give the dog enough attention, exercise...it's bored, looking for entertainment. Also know your breeds. There are just as many breeds who would find a medium sized tortoise as a chew toy, as there are those breeds who could care less about the walking rock.

But I'm a vet tech, I've seen it all. No, my dogs and my torts are kept separate. Accept today, and I was posting a humerous "Oliver-ism" because I've been so lucky, and I've read the stories, antics, damage, etc.

I laughed my behind off when I saw the chairs tipped over. He did zero damage. Just a little mess. No big deal, he clearly had a productive morning! Hahahah

Yes, he will have a big outdoor enclosure, with a pond, a heated house, lots of plants and grasses. But you KNOW that he will get plenty of indoor time when I'm home for a long weekend. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] sibi, your flying in, right? I have red wine!! We'll put on Sopranos.

For now, a Rubbermaid full of hay to dig and eat, and lots of treats and neck scratches...I'm pretty sure his needs are being met. On nice days he goes outside, which he's still figuring that out. I need that tortoise door!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
sibi said:
Would you all get off Sandy's case about having Oliver in the house! I, for one, see her act as one of compassion. She rescued Oliver from a bad situation, and had to make a decision, "Do I rescue Oliver and let him live in the house until I can move him into a more suitable enclosure, OR, do I just do nothing about rescuing him from a very bad situation because I'd have to temporarily let him live inside the house?" I mean, Sandy has already made clear that soon she'll be in a situation to give Oliver a suitable enclosure. I wish people would stop criticizing her for her choices. I suggested to her to keep Oliver inside rather than to have him outside with less than adequate heat. I cannot see this poor animal suffer anymore. Now, he's happy and warm! What's the big deal? In a few months, she'll have Oliver in an outdoor enclosure with everything he needs.

Now, about the dogs, even I recall her saying that she never, never leaves the dog with the torts alone. She keeps an eye on all her animals at all times. I have a dog, and before I built the outdoor enclosure, I would let my torts roam around the house always keeping an eye on them constantly! Why can't we just trust that she's responsible enough to do what she needs to do?

wellington said:
You have your dogs and torts in the same area? Besides that being a big no, no, are you sure the tort did it and not the dogs:D. As much as it might be fun to have him in the house, love how he looks in the pics, watching tv. Oliver, you do know right, should really be kept outside. I know you can't now, but if/when you move. A tort rescue does need to provide what the tort needs, as hard as it might be for you, not having him in the house, it's what best for him. Besides tiled floors would not be good for him to walk on, slippery, not giving proper traction. As for trashing your house, it was inevitable, but you should have taken pics so you could compare the damage now, to the damage he does next time:p :D

I was referring to everyone saying and her that she should keep Oliver in the house after she move. I even said, I know you can't do it now. As for the dogs, she even said herself the dog had pooped and Oliver tracked through it. Oliver may be in a better place now, but, the goal should not be just a better place but also a proper place. That should be the goal of a rescue, is to give a proper place. Again, when the move happens, he and the others should be outside when weather permits. Take the blinders off and read what is going on. As cute and personable he sounds, he still is a tortoise, not a dog.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't have blinders on. I read what you said, but the mere mention of what she should do suggests that she needs reminders. Others made mention, yes, but you have repeatedly told her what she should do as a rescuer. That's my point. I don't mean to be picking on you when others have mentioned the same thing, but, like I said before, let's just trust her judgment on this.

Your last sentence is why I wrote to defend her.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Oliver the rescue Sulcata...50 pounds of drug bust contraban

wellington said:
sibi said:

wellington said:

I was referring to everyone saying and her that she should keep Oliver in the house after she move. I even said, I know you can't do it now. As for the dogs, she even said herself the dog had pooped and Oliver tracked through it. Oliver may be in a better place now, but, the goal should not be just a better place but also a proper place. That should be the goal of a rescue, is to give a proper place. Again, when the move happens, he and the others should be outside when weather permits. Take the blinders off and read what is going on. As cute and personable he sounds, he still is a tortoise, not a dog.

I was kidding :p :D
I, for one, NEVER allow my dogs (when I had them) or my torts inside. My little guys out grew their area and we said bye bye to the pups. Now we are a 85% reptile home! *minus one large rabbit :p

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Oh Wellington, I do love you! [PURPLE HEART]

But I will point out that when I made this comment...
"Maybe all the other Sullies go to the barn, and he stays with me????? [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]"

I was being very tongue in cheek. I know often in typed words, it's very difficult to convey humor, which is why I added my silly face. Lesson to ALL...sandy is silly, goofy, happy-go-lucky. I've been thru a physically abusive marriage, a second marriage that was emotionally abusive, now dirt poor and waiting for my long time boyfriend to find the job he wants, so I'm always one ('cept torts and doggies!). I'm pretty "thick shelled" so to speak. LOL.

All silliness aside, final word, no more discussion, back to silly "see how crazy sandy lives with her big boy inside"...

Oliver will have an outdoor pen, with more of my Sullies if they manage well in this large space I've been given. He will winter outdoors next year, in a heated hide I'm designing, Cowboy_Ken is helping with some pretty cool and energy efficient ideas. And yes, he will get to have inside time with me in the new place. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][PURPLE HEART][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][PURPLE HEART][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][PURPLE HEART][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][PURPLE HEART][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][PURPLE HEART][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
See, I found your statements pliable because you stated what YOU do, and aren't criticizing Sandy for what she had to do as a rescuer given her situation. Yes, we all know dogs and torts don't mix. Sandy knows this too. Thanks for clearing your statements :)
tffnytorts said:
wellington said:
sibi said:

wellington said:

I was kidding :p :D
I, for one, NEVER allow my dogs (when I had them) or my torts inside. My little guys out grew their area and we said bye bye to the pups. Now we are a 85% reptile home! *minus one large rabbit :p

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][PURPLE HEART][SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][PURPLE HEART][SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][PURPLE HEART]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think,maybe the problem is that you called yourself a "rescue" a little too soon. It may have been a better choice to save that until after the move. Saying you rescued a sully probably would have settled better. As for your opinion of the dog/tort. See, the problem with that is, most people have the same opinions of their dogs as you do yours. Anyone with the experience in dogs that not only I have, but even more so what Tom has, would know that every dog has its one thing that will set it off. Most more then one, but all have at least one. Even the best trained dog. It's the people with the same attitude about their dog as you with yours, that ends up with a mangled tort. A chihuahua can do damage to a sully. Probably can't kill one, but can do damage. Chew a tail, foot, leg, head, etc. I understand you think you know your dogs, same as I think I know mine. But we can never, ever know them 100% and that's the part we need to save our tortoises from. Just a little example. Not with a tort, but with my goat, years ago. He was tied out eating. I had two of my dogs outside. We all went in too eat dinner. I knew my dogs. They were the ideal, well behaved, loving, perfect (in my mind) dogs to ever live. Well socialized with people and other animals and dogs and this goat. They never left the yard, which was not fenced in. Well, we are done with dinner, go back outside and find my goat dead. We of course can't say what happened 100% but we are 99% sure they were chasing him around, probably nipping at him or something and getting him upset and he broke his neck. I was as sure of mine as you and others are of theirs. Believe me, it's better to be safe them sorry. You don't want to learn the hard way. It's awful. Now, I know,different animals, two dogs not one, goat not tortoise. The point is, I felt about mine with the goat as you feel about yours and the tort. It may have been just this one time you left her out unattended, but it only takes one time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The thing that bothers me about this thread is that it is on an open forum where anyone, new and old, can read it. Almost everything going on here is not what we recommend new keepers do with their tortoises, and yet there are many other members besides the OP who are cheering her on and patting her on the back. This is all well and good for Sandy, however, it is very much NOT well and good for just anyone, especially new keepers with little or no experience.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Yvonne G said:
The thing that bothers me about this thread is that it is on an open forum where anyone, new and old, can read it. Almost everything going on here is not what we recommend new keepers do with their tortoises, and yet there are many other members besides the OP who are cheering her on and patting her on the back. This is all well and good for Sandy, however, it is very much NOT well and good for just anyone, especially new keepers with little or no experience.

Finally a voice of reason...thank you Yvonne. As my mother would say, “Do as I say, not as I do". I think sandy has a unique situation and would never condone anyone ever leave a dog and tortoise unattended together.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
There are no rules to tortoise keeping. Just opinions.

Sandy has decided that this is what is currently best for her and Oliver. To me, the solution for those that don't like it is simple: Don't read it.

Some of these recent posts are the type that make someone stop posting. If someone doesn't adhere to the opinions of the 'experts' they are put through the ringer. This is something we should try to avoid.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
AZtortMom said:
Well said Ken

Except, it is proven, in children anyway, that what one does, is copied much more then what one says. That's why parents need to lead by example. I don't understand where she has a unique situation? With the experience in dogs she has stated she has, which is almost my exact experience with dogs, she should know better then to make the statement she has made. Like I said, and we have seen it on here already. Everyone thinks their dog "wouldn't do that"!

No experts here, just opinions and sharing what I do know about dogs and have learned even more so on here about dogs and tortoises. This forum has heard, "not my dog" then seen it "help, my dog chewed my tortoise". So, no, not putting anyone through the ringer. No nastiness on here either. Just wanting to save a tort and owner from possible heart ache.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Since my fun and entertaining thread has degraded into what it has...depressing and negative, I have asked it be deleted, or at least returned back to several pages ago.

AND WHEN DID I SAY I LEFT MY DOGS WITH OLIVER???????

I states a left my slightly I'll old girl loose for ONCE!!!! For three hours. Was it the best idea? No, but at least I am honest and I don't hide anything.

It's been stated, I'm a horrible tortoise keeper and apparently after 25 years in basenjis, I don't have any idea what I am taking about.

I'm done. I was pushed too far. I do not deserve this treatment for three hours of a loose old dog that just wanted to sleep. I'm not leaving the forum, but I'm going to take a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.