Olympic stain and sealant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beaver Falls, Pa
Is this safe to use on my wooden parts of the enclosure im going to make? As long as I let it cure?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Should be, as long as you let it cure completely before moving the tortoise in. A solid week is the least amount of time, though, just to be safe.

jerm42991

5 Year Member
Yup and it works well to. Lowes has a $5 rebate on it going on now if you haven't bought it yet. I would let it sit for at least a week though before you actually use it

gtiljen

5 Year Member
i used spar urethane works good so far

Sent from my C5170 using TortForum mobile app

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Re: RE: Olympic stain and sealant

Thanks everyone :D

jerm42991 said:
Yup and it works well to. Lowes has a $5 rebate on it going on now if you haven't bought it yet. I would let it sit for at least a week though before you actually use it

Thanks jerm did you get yours colored? I was thinking of going avocado green. And I only need a small can(I hope) it's like 15$. Im only doing a 3 by 5 enclosure.

jerm42991

5 Year Member
I got the premixed kind. Canyon Brown is the color I got. But I wanted a more wood feel.

Here is a pic of what that looks like, not quite done yet though.

I used about half a gallon on mine which is 4x6, and 5 feet high including the stand.

Unless money is super tight, I would probably recommend just getting a gallon. Better safe than sorry. And worst case scenario, you always have extra to reapply in a few years if needed or touch up

ImageUploadedByTortForum1378166787.774083.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Im a little space crunched right now so only working with a smaller cage. Measurements listed above. In like 2 or 3 years I'll need a bee cage anyway haha. I got a small can and I got avocado was the color name. Im kinda mad. It was supposed to be a solid color and cover and it's translucent. I would like seeing the wood grain if it was a wood color lol but it's green so it's annoying haha. I got two coats on today. Finish a third tomorrow and it's curing time.

What I did was take one of those zoomed tortoise houses and extended it out the one end as well as adjusted the huge a$$ hide to a smaller one. So im staining and sealing it plus the extension. And culking the seams. As well as putting plexi glass over the wiring part

I won't attach the extension till I build the stand. So the pics I post will just be the upgraded zoomed thing.

Still so much to do on a tight budget. Oh well haha. I love my animals they eat before I do :D

Status
Not open for further replies.