OMG…..I'm starting to stress out as much as I did with plant identification!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, Louisiana
BREATHHHHH Addie BREATHHHHHHH!!!!

Hurricane Isaac is heading our way!!!!!
I have R2 & D2<--two water musk babies,
Who, What, Where & Huh <-- my 4 red eared slider and
Crazy <--a slider I'm fostering…..

How am I suppose to keep them with water and oxygen when we evacuate???? There is no WAYYYYY I can just leave them, so can someone tell me how long they'll be ok without water????

I'm feeling like a bad turtle Mom bc I live in Louisiana for God's sake, I should have thought about having to evacuate way beforeeeeeee the actual day we're evacuating!!!!!!

Thank youuuuuuu in advance for any suggestions you can give me,
Addie.

PS: I really need to change my user name to TheTortoiseCrisisMaker :(

PSS: Don't worry about my land torts, I have them covered.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So, are you taking them with you? If so, bring a little bucket or wash basin and put them in there a couple times a day until you can return. Alternate them.
Be safe and hope all is okay when you return home.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I like having each animal having it's own little plastic container (babies can share). The containers are just a little bigger then they are, so it takes less room and they can't move around so much. Also the small ones are easier to put into a dog airline type kennel (we have tornadoes so the kennels are something you can throw them into quickly and gives them more protection if they get tossed by the wind). Small containers will make it easier to fit them into your car and even smuggle them into places if need be. :cool: These little containers are nice to add water to if you want to soak, take the lid off for them to have fresh air, or when needed you can close them up tight.

The turtles and tortoises can both go for quite awhile without water or food. Just keep them at a comfortable temp. Fill now while you have water, any empty jugs and even the tub for all your water needs. The jugs you can take with you, if your leaving. Also make a container with their food to go with you, just incase. Do it now, don't wait any longer. Just as I assume you have packed all the medicines and other necessary items into your car already that you and your family will need?

Do you have a place to go?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Turtles don't need water to live like fish would- transport them dry with just some damp paper towels.

Don't forget to breathe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Addie, Addie, Addie...

I'll bet its never a dull moment around your house, huh?

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
RE: OMG…..I'm starting to stress out as much as I did with plant identification!!!!!

emysemys said:
Oh, Addie, Addie, Addie...

I'll bet its never a dull moment around your house, huh?

*snorts*

Breathe, that's the best advice. You aren't much use in panic mode. You've got this! Where are you located again? I'm in south Florida.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
RE: OMG…..I'm starting to stress out as much as I did with plant identification!!!!!

Hi, Addie- I live in south Louisiana too, Covington to be exact, which I think is not far from you. Someone at work reminded me today:"this is NOT Katrina!" It's a much weaker system. It's already Monday night and New Orleans has NOT ordered evacuation or initiated contraflow. My hubby and I aren't leaving- in fact EVERYONE I know is staying. It is not likely to be all that bad. Unless you're in a flood prone area, the best thing might be to just sit tight. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.