OMG!!! Found 3 baby greeks in my tort shed today!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
:D I got a call from my wife and 10 year old son that he had found 2 baby greeks in our tort shed today!! Before I could get home he found one more!!! I new that my pair had "tried mating" but never saw her act weird or dig a nest.....I guess nature has its way!!! they hatched on their own... in a hide or tunnel i would imagine, I cleaned al the hides out looking for more and found no sign of any more, no egg shells or anything, Would the egg shelld still be under ground or do they kinda surface with the tort? I was wondering if there may have been more but still under ground? possible i guess. I will have to keep an eye out. We are so excited.... i never thought they would EVER hatch on their own, momma must have known where to lay em!! here is a couple bad pics, i will post more later!!!

babygreeks2.jpg

babygreeks1.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If I remember correctly the egg shells usually stay under ground.

and congrats on the find

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
very exciting.. how great is that??? congrats

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your son must be VERY proud of himself! He did good work. The egg shells remain in the nest, unless a piece would happen to stick to a hatchling (which I can't recall anybody saying has happened to them).

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
It is so amazing! everything you read says that the eggs will NOT hatch if left in the nest! Guess mom knew best .... i will look for more of a nest tomorrow, there could be more, does anyone know how many eggs a greek will lay in her first clutch? maybe an average I was thinking 3-6? is that way off i did read that they can lay 2 clutches a yeare so there may be another nest somewhere.....she has alot of room to roam, free access inside the shed, the green house and the yard!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Many folks just leave the eggs to hatch naturally (and many more do it like you, because they don't know about them :cool:). The only worry is that nature may not be kind to them (and/or how hard it can be to find them once they hatch and they become targets for other bad things to find them). Temps could go bad (such as getting way cold/too short of seasons), it could rain too much, ants might find them, ect..,

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I know haw exciting that can be, because I never took in any boxie eggs, but always found some babies through the years. Congradulations to you and especially to your son for finding them. Wow!

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
thanks everyone! yes with all that could have happened i am surprised to see these babies!!!

NEtorts said:
thanks everyone! yes with all that could have happened i am surprised to see these babies!

here is a couple new pics
babygreeks3.jpg

babygreeks4.jpg

babygreeks5.jpg

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
That is sooo cool! What a fun surprise! (and they're ABSOLUTELY adorable!) :)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
How exciting! I keep waiting for eggs to hatch, but I am still waiting. Lucky you!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Congratulations :)

With Jordanian greeks the normal clutch size is 1 to 4 eggs, so a 3 egg clutch is very normal.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.