OMG !! POOR THING !!

bellamia

5 Year Member
A lady rescued him yesterday and posted this pic. He is a 4 year old, and can't use his back legs. This is heartbreaking to see. Can he survive like this ? Breaks my heart ! :( :( ImageUploadedByTortForum1386923601.745645.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1386923195.161657.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1386923195.161657.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 191
Last edited by a moderator:

tort_luv_5055

Location (City and/or State)
New York (USA)
I can't believe some people do this to torts. I hope the lady who rescued him can turn him v around, al though not likely he will survive:( but you never know. Good luck!!!! My fingers are crossed for this poor guy

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Dang that one is so bad idk if I would even try to keep him alive, this one seems like it might be more humane to euthanize. So sad idk how people do this to their animals.

HerbsParents

That is disgusting! Laws seem to be in place for mistreating animals but for some reason Tortoises don't seem to count from what I have seen

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
In college I wrote an essay on ownership testing. I feel like some people should have to pass an exam on the specific animal they are acquiring before they are allowed to own it. I know it wouldn't ever pass for a law but if breeders did this it would be great. It would at least motivate the potential owner to research the animal.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's got too be the saddest pic of a tortoise I have seen yet. I feel the owner should be put in jail. I have a better idea, but can't say it on a forum. I have seen pics of torts given wheels for a leg. If they can't get this one to walk, a set of wheels might work. However, I too think in this case it may be more human to put it down.
iDK :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ignorance is not a punishable offense. The person who had that tortoise was ignorant. Maybe they didn't have access to the internet for research. Maybe they didn't know any reptile people to ask advice. We don't know why they were ignorant. It's too bad our pets have to suffer while we learn how to care for them, but it happens all the time.

I've never seen a Hermann's (?) tortoise in that bad of shape. Plenty of box turtles, but never a tortoise. I had an eastern box turtle that looked just like that. I got him from a rescue situation. He only lived about a year after I got him.

Let's don't waste our time bad-mouthing the original keeper. They are beyond our help. I hope the little tortoise can live a happy, stress-free life from now on.

Cute_Obi

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
OH GOD! Poor poor thing :(
I hope who ever did this to this tort don't ever try to get another one...EVER!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It does look more like the shape turtles get into rather then tortoises. I hope it enjoys it's new life. So sad.

katsbabey

5 Year Member
Found 3 torts like this yesterday on Cleveland advertisement all 3 looked bad...good luck with this one hopefully he pulls through. I understand now why we collect them because I couldn't leave them I'd have to bring them all home

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
HerbsParents said:
That is disgusting! Laws seem to be in place for mistreating animals but for some reason Tortoises don't seem to count from what I have seen

No amount of laws are going to do any good if they can not be enforced. I am sure this poor little guy is not the only or even the worst abuse case going on as we speak. Authorities can not just go door to door asking if you happen to be not taking care of any tortoises in your home. And there are plenty of recent cases where reptile breeders have been busted for inhumane conditions. They just do not get the publicity that furry abuse gets.

bellamia

5 Year Member
It was rescued from an elderly couple who had no idea of the tortoise needs. I hope he can pull through and live a better life now and god bless this rescue lady for trying. :(

katsbabey

5 Year Member
This is the poor tort I seen advertise. ...sooo sad....1386954766259.jpg1386954766259.jpg1386954805184.jpg1386954821808.jpg

Attachments

• 1386954778805.jpg
    1386954778805.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 101
Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't see anything wrong with the Russian tortoise. He's got his legs straight out because he's afraid of falling.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
how does this happen,how long does it take to happen ?..bellamia ,good for you trying to give this tort a chance.my best friend , a famous,veternary sugeon would ask " is he eating ? ",..if an animal is eating it means its spirit wants to live ,now i ask you ; is he eating ?.miracles do happen,feed him,anything at first,hes young in tort years, and oddly, parts of his shell is very beautyful and healthy looking .perhaps ,in time his legs will want to move,if they move they can strenthen. I may supply some new technology from B.U. that is used in orthadonture and see if we can straiten that carapace.....shame on the people that are suggesting a swift end to its life ...he has made it this far, and they want to kill him?

bellamia

5 Year Member
edwardbo said:
how does this happen,how long does it take to happen ?..bellamia ,good for you trying to give this tort a chance.my best friend , a famous,veternary sugeon would ask " is he eating ? ",..if an animal is eating it means its spirit wants to live ,now i ask you ; is he eating ?.miracles do happen,feed him,anything at first,hes young in tort years, and oddly, parts of his shell is very beautyful and healthy looking .perhaps ,in time his legs will want to move,if they move they can strenthen. I may supply some new technology from B.U. that is used in orthadonture and see if we can straiten that carapace.....shame on the people that are suggesting a swift end to its life ...he has made it this far, and they want to kill him?

Hello its not me that rescued it, i saw him on another forum on facebook.
The lady that rescued him is in touch with a vet and is doing everything she can to give him a good chance at life. He is eating and drinking so he does have the will to live. I wish him well. :(