Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
On September 30th of last year I put 27 babcock leopard eggs in the incubator. The female had not been with a male, nor had she laid any eggs in over four years. This is the sight that met my eyes when I opened the incubator this evening, almost 4 months later:

1-26-12a.jpg

1-26-12b.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*does a woot woot victory dance for Yvonne!*

See what happens, when you never give up!!!

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Congrats!! Thats amazing she went that long without a male and they are still fertile

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Congrats, I guess this is more evidence for females storing sperm. Here is hoping the others hatch.
Now you gotta find homes for the ones hatching.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I would not have thought it was possible, but here is proof!...do you have a male at all?....this is truly awesome...I want hatchlings!!

I wonder if you candle the other eggs if you will see anything in them.....

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
That is awesome!! Nothing like finding a baby tortoise looking out at you. I am amazed that after all this time she had at least 1 fertile egg!!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Congrats, four years? That proves something for sure. What temp and humidity levels do you incubate at?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Wow, must be close to a record for sperm storage. I thought three years was considered the max, but you say yours had a baby four years after mating? Impressive. Who knows, maybe they can go even longer than that!

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Congrats Yvonne:D
Great you decided to try incubating the eggs despite feeling that nothing would happen.
Nature is really amazing and full of surprises!!

CT Grim

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Very cool! :cool:

Just started incubating 29 ping pong balls left by Tilly. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't have any gauges besides the cheap-o thermometer that comes with the incubator. I set it at around 86F degrees, use moist vermiculite and keep a container of water in there. Every three or four days, whenever I think about it, I open the lid and spritz the eggs with room temp. water. All of these eggs are chalky white and all looked really good, but I really didn't think they were fertile. Now I'm hoping that some more will hatch.

Because of a question up above, I'll tell the story again. If you've already heard it you can skip to the next thread now. :p

I used to have 2.4 adult leopard tortoises. I had two incubators of eggs going, seemed like all the time. I sold the first few for $100 fairly easily, but then, even though I lowered the price, my area was glutted with leopard babies, and was not able to sell any more locally. I really don't like to ship, so didn't advertise except locally. But finally had to go bigger, and told about them here on the forum. I eventually lowered the price to $50 plus shipping and finally 2 for $50 plus shipping. I had a very hard time selling the last few. And ended up actually giving quite a few of them away. For that reason, I adopted out the males (if memory serves, one may have died) and two of the females. I kept the very first egg that hatched 5 years ago, and that one ended up being male, but he's not big enough to breed the large females, and has shown no breeding interest or activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.