On a mission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Has anyone noticed their Sully seemingly determined to go in one direction? When it's sunny out this winter we bring Tank (and Oscar) out to enjoy the front yard sun. Oscar heads for a tasty patch with some camouflage. Tank heads down to the sidewalk and only goes in one direction. We can block his path, turn him around, put him back in the yard. Nothing changes his mind! He's only going down the sidewalk, there's nothing but concrete in front of him! This is the picture I snapped the other day..

image-3309425275.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopard will go to the same place I don't want him to go every time. I will pick him up, turn him around and put him far away from the place I don't want him to go and sure enough, he will start heading right back there. I also found this to be the same with the four boxies I was housing for a night. I let them into the yard to get some excercise. First they all headed in separate directions. The ones going where I didn't want them to, I would do the same as I had with my leopard. Well, they would still head for the same place. Something with them. If that's where they want to go, that is where they are going to go.:)

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
My 5 month old sully does that too! I had him out in the yard this morning and he kept going to the one place in the yard I don't want him to be! I must have moved/ turned him around a dozen times

Katherine

5 Year Member
wellington said:
If that's where they want to go, that is where they are going to go.:)

Yup, they definitely know where not to go and the fastest path to get there :)

I too notice that my tortoises tend to head in the same directions each day and that every one of them has a favorite 'path'. I actually rotate the pastures I have them in because each group of tortoises will graze different parts to the ground, but since they all have a different autopilot grazing path if I move them biannually the yard does not get completely decimated. Very funny animals, I could watch them all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.