On Front of yahoo.com News its a shame!!!

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Prehistoric-looking alligator snapping turtle is not wanted in Oregon

'Dinosaur of the turtle world,' discovered by an angler, is the first of these invasive critters to be found in the state, and hopefully the last

October 23, 2013 by Pete Thomas

alligator snapping turtle
Biologist Jason Journey poses with invasive alligator snapping turtle captured at Prineville Reservoir. Credit for all images: Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

A fisherman at Prineville Reservoir in Oregon was startled last Friday to spot a large, prehistoric-looking creature cruising along the surface.

Wildlife experts were notified and the next day the creature, an exotic alligator snapping turtle, was captured and euthanized.

This week there’s concern about the possibility that others of its kind are in Prineville—or elsewhere in Oregon. This is the first known find of what’s sometimes referred to as “the dinosaur of the turtle world” in Oregon, and hopefully the last.

alligator snapping turtle
Close-up of the alligator snapping turtle

Why?

Because alligator snapping turtles, with their scaly tails, spiked shells, and powerful beaked jaws, do not belong anywhere but their native southeastern United States habitat (where they’re a threatened species). There, in swamps and river and canals, they help balance the ecosystem.

Beyond that territory, though, they’re regarded as pests with the potential to adversely impact native fishes and small amphibian species (they’ll even devour ducklings), and spread disease. Their extremely powerful bite also makes them dangerous to humans.

Moreover, the alligator snapping turtle is the largest freshwater turtle in the United States. It can weigh at least 220 pounds and an unverified report from Kansas, in 1937, placed the weight of one specimen at 403 pounds.

How the much smaller alligator snapping turtle made it into Prineville Reservoir is anyone’s guess, but it’s believed that it was released by someone who had owned the critter as a pet, and released it when it became too large to care for.

Its shell will be used as part of an educational display of invasive, or non-native species, according to the Idaho Statesman Journal.

“We already have problems in the Willamette Valley with common snapping turtles,” said Rick Boatner, a biologist with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. “I’d hate to see these turtles get established in Oregon.”

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: On Front of yahoo.com News its a sham!!!

What's sad is the idiots that let them go, after having them as those cute, little dinosaur looking babies. Then when they get bigger and are harder to house and more aggressive,they let them go, idiots.
It's ashamed they couldn't have shipped him back where he belonged.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas

I read this earlier and as upsetting as it is, it kind of is the right thing to do. Oregon is no place for a snapper. That being said, shame on anyone who makes a commitment and then bails on it like that! If you take on a long living, possibly huge animal, you need to be commited to the long term or have an escape plan. I have commited to some Sulcatas but before I did so, I made arrangements for them for when they get bigger. Not because I don't want that responsability but because I am 45 years old and if I do my job right, I will not out live my babies!

grogansilver

5 Year Member

Saleama said:
I read this earlier and as upsetting as it is, it kind of is the right thing to do. Oregon is no place for a snapper. That being said, shame on anyone who makes a commitment and then bails on it like that! If you take on a long living, possibly huge animal, you need to be commited to the long term or have an escape plan. I have commited to some Sulcatas but before I did so, I made arrangements for them for when they get bigger. Not because I don't want that responsability but because I am 45 years old and if I do my job right, I will not out live my babies!
" Come on did they Really have to euthanize it? that's was a big turtle you know how long a snapper takes to get that big? "they could of shipped it back! or if you really come to think about it they could of put into in a zoo and showed it off to people who don't see that kind of stuff every Day! "it actually doesn't come from there if you remember!
You seeing stuff like that makes me Really think? Did the dinosaurs really become instinct due to a meter?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

I agree, why kill it and just show the shell? Keep it alive and show the very unique animals they are and use it to educate folks on why NOT to release pets, especially into non-native areas.

grogansilver

5 Year Member

Here's a picture of the turtle with its exterminator!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas

grogansilver said:
Saleama said:
" Come on did they Really have to euthanize it? that's was a big turtle you know how long a snapper takes to get that big? "they could of shipped it back! or if you really come to think about it they could of put into in a zoo and showed it off to people who don't see that kind of stuff every Day! "it actually doesn't come from there if you remember!
You seeing stuff like that makes me Really think? Did the dinosaurs really become instinct due to a meter?

What a waste! :( Does every zoo in Oregon have one? Probably not!

Bighungry83

5 Year Member
Yes. They created that rule while on the Oregon Trail. Thou shalt not be alligator snappers north of the Mason Dixon. There's only room for one non-indigenous species in Oregon.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
And people wonder why these animals are endangered. Parks and wild live are here to protect animals not kill them . Makes me mad as hell they killed him/her.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
:tort: :cool: Well after all this craziness maybe those people in Oregon wont euthanize turtles any more knowing how turtle & tortoise lovers expressed how they felt about the situation! "But I feel the Damage has been Done!! "it was said that turtle's & Tortoise's all over oregon were escaping their owners cages and skipping across the state line of Oregon for their lives!! "picture's tell the story.... :tort:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
That's why I'm proud of the hurb group
In AZ they take large reptiles that don't belong in AZ hold them care for them
And find a zoo or park to take them and its a lot of work

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, very disturbing the guy grinning like that idiot.
No, grogansilver, I am sure man had something to do with the dinosaurs becoming extinct. Don't they have something to do with everything gone bad.:(

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I'm not one much for pictures but I hear that most people smile when they have their picture taken.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'll hazard a guess. The man in the picture probably was not the person that decided to euthanize the snapper. Most every area has a invasive species that they wish they could be eradicated.

The everglades have snake hunts. Coyotes are becoming a problem in The Mid-Atlantic region. They can't all be relocated therefore public policy has been to put a bounty on these species.

I don't think there are any easy answers.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
It's a shame that man can be so evil and dispose of life so easily and readily. Bad f-en karma. We will never see it, but it will happen. Karma keeps tabs.