once agian.. a hibernation question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
Been awhile, last time i was here i had a red foot.. sadly i had to come to alaska and had to re home him. He now lives happily in Florida.
However.. I have obtained a nice little russian. And altho everything i have read , they seem to be an easier keeper than Bert was. But... Does my little fella HAVE to hybernate? Not sure how old he is .. he came from Pet co.. so some of you will know how big he is and maybe his age.
Right now we are in an apartment and will be for awhile. Does he HAVE to hybernate? Is there a way to keep him from doing it? We live in alaska and have 20 hours of dark for several months. right now we have 24 hours of lite. he has his heat lamp and a uvb lite. I keep his warm temps at about 80 or a ltiile under.. (79*) his appitite is good, but he like to hide and sleep alot. unless i bother him and get him out. I think he growled at me today! L0L!! little monster! Everything i read just makes it all the more confusing.. so I come to you! thanks will really appreciate your input!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Brumation is a personal choice....very different views on if they "have" to be allowed to brumate.....so, my suggestion to you would be to, without emotional feelings---listen to all of the opinions you will get in response to this question :)P) and not only base your decision on that but to also do your own research so you can make an informed and well rounded decision....do you "have" to brumate, no...do you "have" to over winter, no....but you will need to, yes, make a plan...

I would more importantly suggest that you be sure to have a basking spot of 95-100 available for your tort, this is needed to assure him the ability to regulate his temps for digestion and appetite...hiding is something that they do, well, because they do....but it is important to have appropriate temps and just make sure that you then also provide a cooler side that is an area that he can hide under real or artificial plants to allow him a sense of security in his environment...May we see a pic of your Russian and his enclosure? :D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He doesn't have to hibernate and won't as long as you can convince him it's still summer.

That means you need to keep the temperatures steady and the light levels, including UVB, high.

Use a timer to make sure lamps and heat go on and off to a regular schedule. They must be on for 12-14 hours every day.

I say this on the knowledge that my Greek, a very close relative of your Russian, seems to know what's happening outside regardless. We did manage to keep him awake last winter, but it was hard going.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
are fake plants safe? what if he eats them? and i will get a stronger heat source. what i have now is only a 50 watt. I was concerned of getting one higher.. i didnt want to over heat him. right now he is housed in a tote... about a 10 gallon size.. i am using The " Forest Floor" cypress mulch. Its deep enough for him to burrow. he has a Pot to go into, but prefers to go under ground. he has a soaking / water dish. he gets a good mix of dark / leafy greens as well as a bit of the local cuisine ( dandi lions). his appitite is good and he is a courious little fella. I have read the books and they all say something diffrent. So, I figure I will ask you guys... and take it from there. who better to ask? L0L.. Soon as i get some good pics and figure how to post them.. I am not very good at that.L0L..

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
10 gallon is too small IMO. Get the biggest rubbermaid you can. Russians need space!

You need a digital thermometer and you need to measure the temps in 4 important places: under the basking lamp (should be 95-100), warm end (high 80s), cool end (mid 70s) and overnight min ( 60s)

I'm not a fake plant fan. I'd rather use the real thing so tort can graze. They're unlikely to eat it by accident unless there are splashes of irresistible red, but there is always a risk.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
JoesMum said:
10 gallon is too small IMO. Get the biggest rubbermaid you can. Russians need space!

You need a digital thermometer and you need to measure the temps in 4 important places: under the basking lamp (should be 95-100), warm end (high 80s), cool end (mid 70s) and overnight min ( 60s)

I'm not a fake plant fan. I'd rather use the real thing so tort can graze. They're unlikely to eat it by accident unless there are splashes of irresistible red, but there is always a risk.

oops.. not 10 gallon!! L0L...its 35" x 16 3/4 x 12 7/8 " But I will definately get him something bigger. I had a real nice tort table back in wyoming.. this is just a temp thing for the moment... I will definately make the proper improvements.I know this is too small, but like i said its a temp thing. If i get my way.. he would have a mansion! L0L..

JoesMum said:

May i ask what plants you use for your enclosure? I prefer real plants.. but am cautious about whats safe.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just keep in mind if your trying real plants especially with the factors of it's a small space and it's a Russian, those plants will be eaten rather quickly as a rule. You may want to keep the plants base (roots) out of the tortoise's reach and just let him eat the ends of the leaves and stems rather then the entire plant. Another idea is the tray method. Simply grow some plants in trays that you place in and out of the enclosure for him to eat. Several trays because that way you always have a fresh one to rotate in. Also some grocery stores do sell "living" lettuces.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Jacqui said:
Just keep in mind if your trying real plants especially with the factors of it's a small space and it's a Russian, those plants will be eaten rather quickly as a rule. You may want to keep the plants base (roots) out of the tortoise's reach and just let him eat the ends of the leaves and stems rather then the entire plant. Another idea is the tray method. Simply grow some plants in trays that you place in and out of the enclosure for him to eat. Several trays because that way you always have a fresh one to rotate in. Also some grocery stores do sell "living" lettuces.

Oh! what a great idea! I used to get my dog that already grown grass they sell at pet co.. ( she ate it when she wasnt feeling well) would that be good for him? and being i live in alaska.. lots of people have green houses.. I bet i could get someone to start some lettuce for me! Thanks.. thats a good one!

JoesMum said:
Spider plants are brilliant. They grow their own baby plants for feeding :)
So spider plants are o.k.? Thats good. I had a redfoot awhile back. I had a beautiful spider plant nest to his table once and it mysteriously started to get smaller. one day i saw him reaching over and grabbing a leaf. mystery solved! I was worried if it was safe or not.

Jacqui said:
I used to get my dog that alfalfa grass they sell at petco. Is that safe? and being i live in alaska.. I know lots of people who have green houses, i bet i could get somone to grow fresh lettuce and stuff for me.. what a great idea! thanksI :)

Status
Not open for further replies.