One little one started to grow on Mazuri after 1,5year

pigie

Hello, I got 2 leopards from one hatch. One I picked as one mont old, 2nd I leave to breeder until it get's 45g and surely will grow. The first one was eating, but a nibble, weight was still the same for very long period of time, but seems to have no problems. The same was with his hatchling mate. After more than half year started to grow breeder one, I brought him at home after one year from hatch witch weight 46g. But mine was not growing at all, all the time 36-38g. He started eat more when his brother comes, but still not growing. I started to search in this forum. I have setup as recommended, but not helping. One from breeder was growing, 2nd not. Then I got mazuri as I read is best for such cases... Believe or not, after 1.5 year tortoise starts to grow! Nothing changed, just mazuri, one pellet twice a week. From that point the tortoise is growing very slowly, but it's growing! Seems he is growing better as breeder brother - smoother. So thank you, you are doing a great job with this forum :) I've would never heard about Mazuri before. I got some pellets from our stores, but with no result.

And it's normal, that one starts to develop pyramiding and 2nd not? They are together one year. Breeder one now 180g and small one at 70g (2 years old!!!!) I thing something was not right from begining, but I do not know what. Breeder is starting them on wet, not dry conditions....

Attachments

• IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3321.jpg
    IMG_3321.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 40

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Are you housing them together? If yes that is a result of bulling. Separate them. You’ll see an improvment.

pigie

I will not see. They were separated 1st year, when I got 2nd one after first year, 1st one started to eat better, but still was not growing. Started to grow after I offered Mazuri. Now both have weekly increase of weight. They are growing at different rate, but that is fine for me.

I just want to say, that my little leo was on 36-38g 1,5 year, eating, but not growing. And Mazuri helps with this steady state.

Kasia

Poland
They lived together for an year. Tortoise adjust slow (you can find loads of examples here on the TFO). I still belive that the little one just started to get relaxed and comfortable on it's own.
What greens are you feeding him exccept Mazuri?

pigie

Hi Kasia, I am not sure, if we are understanding each other. My english is not very well. But 1st year was alone and not growing, so was not relaxed? 2nd year was with his clutch mate (who grows immediatelly after I bring him as 1 year old) and during this 2nd year started to grow. So if relaxed, then with friend.
Greens offered during winter mainly Chinese Cabbage, romain lettuce, corn salat and any greens I find outside during whole year.

This is not my first tortoise. I am pretty long tortoise owner. I am taking care for 30years of my russian tortoise and next 3 came during this period - no problems with them. They all just growing and growing :D But I am owner of leopard just for 2 years :) And never see young tortoise eat and behave normaly, but not growing... This was new to me. I am happy that now is growing.

Kasia

Poland
Aaaaaaa I get it now. ;) I would try more varied diet (I konw that in winter time it can be hard). More different weeds given in big quantities should have a similar effect as Mazuri. if they live together now I would separate them. They dont do well in couples.