One more triplet update...siblings

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
It has now been a full week since the triplet cherryheads were separated from each other. They are all eating although the smallest one, Peanut really just picks at food right now. I am pretty sure that once the yolk sac membrane sheds off that his appetite will increase.
I measured them all today and these are their straight carapace lengths:
Huey--4.0 cm
Dewey--3.9 cm
Peanut--2.8 cm
A typical cherryhead hatchling from any of my females is usually 5.0 to 5.5 cm one week after hatching. I wait a week before measuring them as this gives them time to absorb their yolk and get their shells straightened out. Peanut, at 2.8 cm, is just a little larger than a hatchling mud turtle. But the little guy is showing signs of growth and that is a good thing.
These are the measurements and hatch dates of the eggs from the April 22 clutch from which the triplets emerged:
T 4/22 #1-- 5.15 X 4.4 cm pipped 8/26
T 4/22 #2-- 4.6 X 4.3 cm pipped 8/23
T 4/22 #3-- 4.8 X 4.5 cm pipped 9/3--triplets
T 4/22 #4-- 4.3 X 4.0 cm pipped 8/23
As you can see, the egg that the triplets came out of was not particularly large although it was the second largest of the clutch. All four eggs were fertile and hatched.
Here are some (not so great) photos of all of the hatchlings that came out of the clutch. The triplets are fairly easy to spot...

DSC08566.jpg

DSC08569.jpg

While the three 'normal' hatchlings look huge compared to the triplets, they are in fact only average sized.
This is Peanut with the sibling that emerged from the largest egg, T 4/22 #1 that pipped on 8/26...

DSC08575.jpg

The three little ones. Huey is at the bottom, Dewey is the top one...

DSC08574.jpg

Last photo. Peanut taking some finely chopped mushroom...

DSC08576.jpg

You can see some very slight growth occurring along the scute seams. Maybe he will make it after all?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I look at the photos of peanut and it looks like he has trouble either moving or walking, how is he dong does he move around as good as the other guys?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Great photos! Thank you for sharing! It's like a mini-series... I just can't wait to see what happens next!!!

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
dmmj said:
I look at the photos of peanut and it looks like he has trouble either moving or walking, how is he dong does he move around as good as the other guys?

dmmj, none of them are really walking around much yet which is to be expected. They each still have a knot in the middle of their plastrons from the yolk sac separation and then the sutures which probably makes them uncomfortable. In Peanut's case this is a large item that I'm sure makes for a more difficult time. But I am also NOT trying to get them to move yet by any means. I try to disturb them as little as possible right now as again, that yolk sac membrane hasn't shed off and if these guys were in the wild (and were still alive), they probably wouldn't even be emerging from their nest for a number of days.
It is too early to tell if Peanut will have any disabilities although it is quite possible that he might.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Thanks for the updates! My whole family is really happy that you give the updates and that the are doing good! :)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
They look great, I LOVE peanut sooo much!! I just want him to be okay!! Keep us posted. Huey & Dewey look perfect!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Good to hear there is progress even if it's just a little, thanks for keeping us updated...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I appreciate the time you keep taking to keep us all updated on these guys. I think we have become a bit attached to them.

Faery

5 Year Member
Alaska
Yay for the babes! So glad to hear these little ones are still fighting!

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
One more triplet update!? I'd like to hear about more as time goes by!
I'm in love with Peanut!! So tiny!

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Great update :) Interesting to see the triplets with their siblings. And of course just love Peanut!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
So happy their all doing well and looking great!

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Yay! Glad for an update, I was just wondering about them :)
They are so cute :tort: I really hope they all make it!

Status
Not open for further replies.