One of my hatchlings died!!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjones

5 Year Member
They have been eating perfectly fine!!! And i also have been feeding crickets and mealworms!!!

maggie3fan said:
I don't think there is too much water in the tank, but I do think there is too much stuff in it and I don't think they are being fed anything they recognize as food. Baby aquatics need something that wiggles, not something freeze dried. I would feed night crawlers or bloodworms. For starters. Baby turtles are fragile and need careful handling. I would cut a night crawler up into several pieces and feed those wiggling pieces and see if that makes a difference. I personally think the last one died of starvation...they need to be fed better...

can i keep the floating plant things in there??? and the thing to the left, I have to keep in there because that is where the water comes out from the filter and if i dont have that rock there, it makes ALOT of noise!!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I would take out the floating plants and the things on the bottom leaving the bottom clean. leave the thing to the left there so that the water doesn't make so much noise and just be careful of the floating dock. Plants that are floating it could get tangled in. JMO

M

Maggie Cummings

tjones said:
They have been eating perfectly fine!!! And i also have been feeding crickets and mealworms!!!

maggie3fan said:
I don't think there is too much water in the tank, but I do think there is too much stuff in it and I don't think they are being fed anything they recognize as food. Baby aquatics need something that wiggles, not something freeze dried. I would feed night crawlers or bloodworms. For starters. Baby turtles are fragile and need careful handling. I would cut a night crawler up into several pieces and feed those wiggling pieces and see if that makes a difference. I personally think the last one died of starvation...they need to be fed better...

can i keep the floating plant things in there??? and the thing to the left, I have to keep in there because that is where the water comes out from the filter and if i dont have that rock there, it makes ALOT of noise!!!

This is another case where a new keeper has asked for advice then argues with said advice. OK, so your turtles are eating, but IMO they are not being fed healthy enough food to maintain life. If you want to keep the rocks then do so, but we all all saying the same thing, every one of us is saying you have too much crap in the tank for a turtle to live in. We are NOT saying it to be mean, we are saying it because it's the truth and you asked for advice. Several of us have responded and while we disagree with the level of water in the tank we all in unison are saying you have too much stuff in the tank. So take out most of the stuff, keep the filter, keep the rocks that keep the filter from making noise and feed the remaining baby a better diet. Robyn picked up on the temperature of the water...I kept my aquatic babies at about 80 to 85 degrees and never let the water fall below 70, could that have been what caused the other hatchling to die? Is it possible your water is too cold? What do you think? Have you not had a heater all this time?
I do shop at Carolina Pet Supply and while I think he charges too much for shipping I do think that he is a trustworthy company to buy from. I didn't look at your link, but that is my opinion about Joe...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Maggie I must admit sometimes I do like your cut to the chase attitude and in some cases I think it is necessary.
tjones, realize you asked for advice and a new turtle. We gave you advice. It is up to you whether you take it or not. I am not even sure we are disagreeing on water levels. I think the level you have is fine or you could go as low as two shell lengths. I just wouldn't fill the tank to the top, MHO. I do not think the water level had anything to do with you losing your hatchling. I truly believe that either the temps or the inadequate diet or possiblilty of eating the Pothos, may be what caused your hatchlings death. But without a necropsy it is all speculation. We are all however only trying to help you set up and keep the hatchling you have healthy.
Oh and if you need items right away Petco at 3731 Gateway Dr Eau Claire, WI (715) 832-0200 should carry all your turtle needs including a heater for your tank. If you do not have a petstore closer to you. That way you could also save on shipping costs. :)

tjones

5 Year Member
I took all the floating stuff out and, i all the stuff on the bottom!!!

What food would you recommend that is "healthier" than what i am feeding now???

Im feeding mealworms, shrimp (canned and dried), Crickets, and worms (when available). What else???
and the water temp never drops below 70, my room is 72, so the water level cant drop lower, i will be purchasing a heater, just to cover all the bases!!! I thank everyone of you for your advice, and i wasnt disagreeing with any of your opinions!!! and about that plant that some of you metioned, i know for a fact that that is not the type of plant that was in there!!! it was a bamboo plant and another kind that i cant think of at the moment, but i know it was not the kind that you had metioned!!

maggie3fan said:
tjones said:

maggie3fan said:

This is another case where a new keeper has asked for advice then argues with said advice. OK, so your turtles are eating, but IMO they are not being fed healthy enough food to maintain life. If you want to keep the rocks then do so, but we all all saying the same thing, every one of us is saying you have too much crap in the tank for a turtle to live in. We are NOT saying it to be mean, we are saying it because it's the truth and you asked for advice. Several of us have responded and while we disagree with the level of water in the tank we all in unison are saying you have too much stuff in the tank. So take out most of the stuff, keep the filter, keep the rocks that keep the filter from making noise and feed the remaining baby a better diet. Robyn picked up on the temperature of the water...I kept my aquatic babies at about 80 to 85 degrees and never let the water fall below 70, could that have been what caused the other hatchling to die? Is it possible your water is too cold? What do you think? Have you not had a heater all this time?
I do shop at Carolina Pet Supply and while I think he charges too much for shipping I do think that he is a trustworthy company to buy from. I didn't look at your link, but that is my opinion about Joe...

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
That was a pothos plant. It was. And I didn't see anything that resembled bamboo. And when you think about it, how can you be sure that your water is no colder than 70 degrees? If its 90 degrees in your room, does that mean the water is 90 degrees? No, it doesn't.

Babies need heat, so do adults. Swimming in cold water is a bad idea. I am glad that you have decided to get a heater.

If you don't feel you are providing a bad diet, then maybe you are not feeding often enough. That baby could very well have died from starvation.

Can you post a picture of the remaining hatchling?

tjones

5 Year Member
first off there where two plants in that thing, one was a bamboo, and the other was NOT a pothos!!!!!

My room is 72-73 degrees!!! and the water temp is 72-73 degrees, and yes i am getting a heater!!!! And i think i was feeding enought, i was feeding about 2-3 times daily, they didnt eat alot each time, but they were getting enought food per day!!!

and i cant post any night but i will post some tomorrow!!! and if you are thinking you will see anything on the turtle that will be a tell-tale sign of disease or sickness, trust me i have looked that baby over plenty of times and i have found nothing to suspect sickness, and i know that it doesnt mean that they are perfectly health but the chances are good that it is!!!

Meg90 said:
That was a pothos plant. It was. And I didn't see anything that resembled bamboo. And when you think about it, how can you be sure that your water is no colder than 70 degrees? If its 90 degrees in your room, does that mean the water is 90 degrees? No, it doesn't.

Babies need heat, so do adults. Swimming in cold water is a bad idea. I am glad that you have decided to get a heater.

If you don't feel you are providing a bad diet, then maybe you are not feeding often enough. That baby could very well have died from starvation.

Can you post a picture of the remaining hatchling?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I don't know what you are getting so upset about. All the exclamation points...there is no need to "shout"

I am not trying to pick on you, I am trying to HELP you.

I want that other baby to live just as much as you do.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Its really not a problem. I know it feels horrible to be "criticized" but you have to keep thinking about that remaining baby. If it was your fault (and I am not saying that for sure, it was--sometimes babies just don't make it) that the first one died, don't you want to change whatever caused it, so it won't happen again?

What's your name? I don't even know your gender. We are all friends here, we want to help you. I want to help you. It helps if we can view you as a person, not a user name :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
The plant that is in there looks like a philodendron.
As for the floating plants...they look like floating lettuce. I always put some floating plants in with my hatchlings. I have them in there right now with a little rescue RES that I have. I also put a lot of duckweed in which they eat.
Sometimes hatchlings just die...for no reason. I have had many hatchlings over the years that just didn't make it. Don't beat yourself up over it. Just concentrate on the one you have, and when it gets a little older and you know it is healthy...then get another one.

tjones

5 Year Member
My name is Tanner Jones, I am 17 year old high school senior, I am a male (obviously). I have two dogs (purebred sheltie, boarder collie mix), two cats (purebred siamese, tortoiseshell), one rabbit (californian show rabbit, who happens to be the #1 californian in wisconsin, at the moment!!!), one normal ball python, one painted turtle hatchling!!!!!

Meg90 said:
Its really not a problem. I know it feels horrible to be "criticized" but you have to keep thinking about that remaining baby. If it was your fault (and I am not saying that for sure, it was--sometimes babies just don't make it) that the first one died, don't you want to change whatever caused it, so it won't happen again?

What's your name? I don't even know your gender. We are all friends here, we want to help you. I want to help you. It helps if we can view you as a person, not a user name :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Tanner. Nice to put a real name to the sign in name. Like as been said before some hatchlings just are not meant to survive. Best to focus on your reamaining one at this time. Do you know what types of live plants you had in the tank? I still say that looks like a pothos though I hate to disagree with Terryo. But even so philodendron is on the toxic list. Are the floating plants plastic or live? If they are plastic and small enough for a hatchling to eat I would get them out as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.