One of my Russians stays buried

NorrisJ

I have a question that goes along with this topic. I have 2 Russians in the same enclosure. I have a UVB bulb in one area and a heat lamp in the other. One of my tortoises has been fully buried for 3 days now. The other is still VERY active and hungry? I don't understand why one would be burried and the other not therefore I don't think it is a temperature or light issue. Any other thoughts?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Pet shop tortoises? This means wild caught. In their native land the time they are awake is very short. They hibernate for half the year or more. So you tortoise might be acclimated to going down into hibernation early. To be sure he's ok, you should dig him up and place him in front of the food daily. Also a good soak will help him stay awake.

...Oh, and - Welcome to the Forum!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Being bullied and stressed out is another possibility. I would separate these tortoises and see if there is a difference in behavior.

NorrisJ

Pet shop tortoises? This means wild caught. In their native land the time they are awake is very short. They hibernate for half the year or more. So you tortoise might be acclimated to going down into hibernation early. To be sure he's ok, you should dig him up and place him in front of the food daily. Also a good soak will help him stay awake.

Thank you! I was unsure about digging him up. I didn't want to disturb anything that I shouldn't! I will do both of those things and hope it works!
And yes, they are from the pet store :( It makes me sad to think they were wild-caught.

NorrisJ

Being bullied and stressed out is another possibility. I would separate these tortoises and see if there is a difference in behavior.

The one that is burying himself has been mine for about a year. He has always been slow and sleepy. The new one belonged to my parents who could no longer keep him. I have had him for about 6 months and he has always been very active and hungry. I do not see any fighting/bullying going on at all but that could be the case. I will try and separate them for a week or so and see if anything changes. Thanks for your suggestions.

breaker1nine

5 Year Member

Thank you! Is there a way to get him acclimated to not being in the wild? It bothers me too, to think he was running wild somewhere and captured for profit.
Should I buy more (non-heat-emitting) lights?
I put him in front of the food but he's still a reluctant eater, which is what worries me most.
Are they smart enough to not starve themselves to death?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California