one of my torts scared me

phebe121

So this morning i was goving her a bath she put her head under water and took a big gulp and then started choking i had to give her the tort Heimlich and some water came out her nose.what could have made her do this

phebe121

Me to i hope she never does that again.im glad i watch them in the bath

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I'm curious, can you describe the choking?

I've had multiple tortoises of different species drink water while their heads and nostrils were fully submerged...and for a lengthy time, too. I've never seen anything negative result from that, so I'm curious as to what you saw.

phebe121

Her lifting the frunt end up i could her her trying to swollow or cough it up and she was stubling in the water wile this was going on so i thought i had to intervene. Normally she put her head under water all the way no issues it was only a tad deeper then normal.she was under for about 40 seconds not to bad

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
As long as she's ok now, that's fine I think.
Never experienced this, but it sounds like you did the right thing. well done!
Hopefully, she won't have this experience again and will have learned her lesson, but you never know, so just keep an extra-special eye on her while she's bathing, but again it sounds like you're always careful anyway.

phebe121

I am always carful your right they never have a bath without me watching or in the same room.shes fine today and i gave her another bath just incase she didnt get enough water yesterday even know they have water 24/7

rkelleh

Hanford, California
:oops:
I'm curious, can you describe the choking?

I've had multiple tortoises of different species drink water while their heads and nostrils were fully submerged...and for a lengthy time, too. I've never seen anything negative result from that, so I'm curious as to what you saw.

My little Ninja submerged head fully last week for quite a few seconds. I freaked out and picked him up for a bit and then set him back down. It is good to know that they do this sometimes. Maybe I won't freak out next time. I guess we all become worry worts with them.:oops:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
:oops:

My little Ninja submerged head fully last week for quite a few seconds. I freaked out and picked him up for a bit and then set him back down. It is good to know that they do this sometimes. Maybe I won't freak out next time. I guess we all become worry worts with them.:oops:
Absolutely right, you, Phebe and all the people above, I should think worry every time our tortoises exhibit an unusual behavior. I know I do. It shows you care and that's a lot better than the alternative.
But this site provides one with solutions and comfort when we worry, whether that worry is real or misplaced.

phebe121

I know everyday i inspect mine(i think there sick of it lol)from head to tail .watch them when they take a bath.watch them eat .i rub there bottoms and heads so when i do see something abnormal i can get it looked at but all that said i think i sometimes make up things as in omg a bubble from the nose but she just took a big gulp of water im over protective. I guess i just want them to have the best life.and if they got sick from something iv done i wouldnt forgive myself