One of the girls getting a suntan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Grim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
I have 3 res in my 300gal pond. Here is one of the ladies having exclusive use of the basking facility and a one of the pond in progress...

2011-11-03_12-57-38_595.jpg

DSC01110.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its nice to see all that hard water build-up flaking off her shell. She looks happy!

I'm a big user of the extension cord myself, so please don't think I'm saying anything against your electrical choice. I merely want to warn you that you should probably make a drip loop, or fix it in some way so that the plug part is more protected from the elements.

CT Grim

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
emysemys said:
Its nice to see all that hard water build-up flaking off her shell. She looks happy!

I'm a big user of the extension cord myself, so please don't think I'm saying anything against your electrical choice. I merely want to warn you that you should probably make a drip loop, or fix it in some way so that the plug part is more protected from the elements.

Alas, the dangers of posting old pics. Thanks for the heads up, but this was taken while I was in the middle of planting...so I had to move the cords. I plan on running an underground line to an all-weather box...actually 2 boxes; 1 for the pond accoutrements, and 1 for the tort den. Also thinking about some lighting for the habitat....maybe a Vegas-style fountain show... The flaking on the slider are her old scutes shedding. She looks pretty ragged while she is molting. We do have hard water here..but no buildup on these rolling stones!
;)

LindaF

5 Year Member
I really like your pond set up. Your turtles must be very happy!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I just love to see a happy turtle with a nice pond like that. Beautiful job. :)

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
very nice pond, what kind of filter are you using on it? Does it to hot in the summer time for your red ear sliders?

CT Grim

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
oscar said:
very nice pond, what kind of filter are you using on it? Does it to hot in the summer time for your red ear sliders?

The only filter I am running right now is a 5-gal bucket with bio-balls and a thick layer of filter media. I used to run the water in from the top of the bucket and let it trickle down and run out the bottom with the bucket sitting in my ponds. Now the water enters the bottom and is pushed up and out the 1" bulkhead fitting at the top. This is the first filter I have run this way and so far so good! I plan on adding a UV filter in the spring.
It gets to 110 here in the summer, but I have never had water temp issues. The pond will only get direct sun for about half the day, and filtered sun from a Palo Verde the rest. I plan to monitor it closely. This winter I built an underwater hide out of an old storage container and placed a heater in it...they LOVE it! :D

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
I love the pond they are so nice for bigger water turtles.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I'm so jealous! That is a great looking pond! I have one on my wish list and can only hope it looks as nice as yours!

CT Grim

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Thanks everyone! ...the pond is still evolving. Can't wait for spring! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.