One of the men folk up today....how about at your place?

Honuboy

Location (City and/or State)
So-Cal
Well, today was the day the first man down was the first man up....at about the end of Sept to first week of Oct 2015 Haus snuck down into his natural dug burrow before I could get him and box him up for winter....this is the second year in a row that he has done this....and today I was out doing stuff in the yard next to his, I look over and see he is looking over at me....so I think, "nice, he made it through", morbid I know, but I really don't like when they do their own thing in their hole during winter...too many variables can happen...but, hey, this is not his first go round....

I go and squat next to him and peel away the curtain of black widow webs from his face, eyes, legs and shell, which is the normal when they sleep out in their own hole and are not going in and out for 4 or 5 months....he looked up with his groggy just waking up eyes....I slowly lift him to get a feel for how he feels, SOLID, good, his weight is just like the last time I had him in my hands....I lifted him up, his face to my ear and he is smooth breathing....I lift him up a bit more to look him over and see the normal packed mud in the concave part of his plastron and a little on the sides of his shell....so I set him down again...go and clean out his soaking dish...fill it up...fetch groggy tort...place into the soaking dish, slowly, give tortoise a moment to realize what he is in...and gently drizzle water on the back of the shell and slowly drip onto top of head...and yep, in the head goes....let drinking commence for the next 10 minutes....charged up and slowly climbs out of dish ....I pull away all mud clogs from all spots on tort...place him back down in the sun....drop a few dandelions in front of tortoise....dandies disappear...tortoise disappears, strolling off into the sun filled yard....sun, food, exercise...ahh spring....:tort:

So, I pulled the other three men folk out of their cool dark closet and will let them gradually acclimate to room temp and light and will get them out to the rest of their wake up process tomorrow morning....

How about anyone else?

Cool post.

Haven't experienced the hibernation thing yet.

Just inherited my tortoise and he is doing his spring routine as well.

Cheers.

Honuboy

Location (City and/or State)
So-Cal
That's a good looking beast! The situations they get themselves in sometimes is hilarious.